Cheapest way to enhance SQ with digital streaming

I could not stop but post my observations on remarkable SQ improvement with just a small change. I have been using digital streaming predominantly and have tried many things (cables, conditioner, room treatment). Everything does matter and they all did improve the quality without doubt and are definite investment. But after going through some reviews of fiber optic for Ethernet and their noise reducing properties compared to copper cables, I thought of giving a try. I connected Ethernet cable from router/Ethernet switch to media converter and fiber optic from this media converter (need SFP module) to second media converter (with another SFP module). Then regular Ethernet cable went from this second media converter to server/streamer. Basically the idea is to add fiber optic cable between the router and streamer, which will reduce the noise. But, wow, the difference was huge and amazing. Not sure how to explain the improvement, but the SQ was more fluid, melodious, fast, clean and separation of instruments were clear. The total cost for this was less than 150 (on Amazon). Apparently, as the fiber optic cable conductors are made of glass, they carry less noise compared to copper and also cost very cheap. Compared to money spent on other component in my system (have spent quite a lot), this is the most cost efficient and gave more improvement in the SQ. I am still amazed by this and very happy with what I heard. I feel negligent not to share with my fellow audiophiles, who are trying to get the best out and improve their system, sometime spending quite a bit for small difference. I guess, since the cost of trying this is so cheap (please don’t make me feel guilty for telling 150$ is cheap), try yourself and see the difference. On a different note, have been reading that use of Ethernet switch also does some “saucery” (I am no technical guy, but do read quite a bit of articles on audio) to reduce this noise to improve SQ and combination of fiber optic and the Ethernet switch takes SQ to different level. Will try some audiophile Ethernet switch sometime (may be uptone ethergen or Sotm snh-10g) to try out as I am very intrigued. 
romney80

Thanks @sns ​​@romney80 for sharing your learnings and for replying to my questions. 
I am very new to posting on here and I don’t really have the technical know how or the vocabulary to talk about my setup or listening experience like the most of you do on here. 
I have however managed to drain my resources over the last years into what I think has ended up to be quite a nice HiFi. 

I’m running a Leben cs600x + Sophia KT88’s into Devore 096’s 

I have been auditioning a Schiit Yggdrasil Dac this weekend as I thought my current Dac might be a weak link in my digital streaming playback. 

Well the Schiit certainly was quite a difference in sound and detail but what I didn’t like was it kind of made my system sound a bit solid state, modern and analytical. It  was doing a better job of revealing the music in more detail but somehow the music seemed less musical.  

My fiber optic supplies arrived over the weekend and knowing I have been messing with my system quite allot in the last couple of weeks I might find it difficult to tell the difference, if any, this modification might make I decided to connect it up anyway. 

To my surprise this new Dac is now sounding much more natural in my system. I was expecting to be looking for detail improvements but I don’t think I am hearing them. I do however seem to be enjoying the tone I am hearing and whilst I wouldn’t describe the sound as analogue I would say it has moved in that direction.

Looks like I might hang on to this Dac now. I was thinking I would return it next week and look for something warmer sounding. 

Thanks again and I am happy I tried this out 👍

sns, I'm still confused about the distinction between server and streamer.  To be specific, my router, Roon Nucleus, and Ayre QX-5 (Roon endpoint) connect to an Ethernet switch.  So is the Nucleus the server and the QX-5 the streamer with a builtin DAC?  Output from the QX-5 is balanced analog to a KX-5 preamp.  

A MESH node that serves a remote ultraRendu is also connected to the switch, so I assume the ultraRendu is also a streamer.  It sends USB to an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC.

db 

@dbphd  You got it. Streamers take ethernet or optical input (in rarer cases), use various outputs to dacs. Streamers can also be built into dacs, like your Ayre in which case they are streamer dac. Your ultrarendu is also streamer. If using usb output on any streamer its also called usb renderer, if using Roon also called Roon endpoint.

As mentioned previously, a server can also be streamer, although simply called server, all servers connecting to dacs are inherently servers with streamer capability.