Cartridge incompatibility, Soundsmith and Luxman

I have a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star cartridge that sound really amazing, but I just changed to a Luxman L-590AXII and the gain and loading is fixed.

Output/loading for cartridge: 0.4mV, recommended load resistance 470 ohm

Input sensitivity/impedence for the amp: 0.3mV, 100 ohm

The gain should be ok, but the load is way off and you can clearly hear it. The highs are rolled off and I need to crank up the volume to be acceptable level.

So here's the question... what cartridge would work in this setup? Would love to keep the Soundsmith, but I'm not going to add SUT with additional cables and all that complexity.

128x128audiojan

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I never advocated a SUT to solve this particular problem. I really think you ought to reread whatever previous post of mine has got you confused, and maybe then you will understand better what I was trying to say. Anyway, I think you would agree that a clear pathway to a solution has been agreed-upon by just about everyone who has commented in the past 48 hours. So there really is no need to bring up whatever it is you don’t like about me or my previous comment.

If you cannot find a technician to switch out the built in loading resistor (assuming this IS the issue), and you are against using an external SUT feeding the MM input, you will be in the still troublesome spot of finding a cartridge that works.  Do you have a dealer that is willing to allow you to audition cartridges or allow you to bring in your integrated amplifier to see if sounds okay with particular cartridges the dealer has to offer? 

I would hate to hazard a guess as to which cartridges might be compatible, not only with your integrated, but with the rest of your system and your particular taste.  The 100 ohm fixed load suggests a cartridge with a low impedance of the coils in the cartridge itself-at most an impedance of 10 ohms, and much lower would be better still. 

Most low/medium output cartridges with a typical 0.4mv - 0.6mV output and ~ 5 - 10 ohms coils should work well with that Luxman MC phono. The carts like the SS Zephyr and (I'm guessing) Benz LPS / Ruby / SLR are the outliers that have any trouble. There are a number of MC phono stages that only offer a 100 ohm load, since it's a very typical value in this range. 

@lewm is right, he never advocated a SUT here. I don't think anyone was suggesting that, except OP. I touched on cable requirements for a SUT, but to be clear I definitely wouldn't try to throw a SUT on this thing (the JFET headamp is another deal entirely). 

It was me who pondered that there might be a SUT inside not Lew. I realize that many MC inputs offer a 100Ω option but I found 100Ω as the only option to be a bit odd particularly for something likely to be paired with a 40Ω denon 103.  Add to this that there are many who insist that a MC cartridge should be loaded at 47kΩ and the single 100Ω option seems like a very limiting choice for any active circuit but a perfectly logical one for an internal SUT.

dave

Cardas Clear Beyond sounds amazing, but they're not inexpensive...

Cut the cables in half, add 2x extra terminals and put the SUT in between?