Please help my ignorant a$$, I just want a good streamer...I think.

For starters let me get this out of the way up front. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND COMPUTERS OR THE LANGUAGE. 

My current set up consists of A custom built Aric Audio 6SN7 line stage, Peachtree 300 amp, Marantz CD6007, Denafrips Pontus II and a Node 2i. All cables DIY Helix design per My Audio Alchemy. Speakers are Monitor audio silver 500's.

In my head I should be able to improve upon the Node. I have been reading threads here and some other forums. I think I want something like a Lumin U1 Mini. Maybe one of the Innuos units with the ripping capability. Just not so sure about the Ripping CD's as that is going to involve hard drives and stuff. Which I would probably have to hire someone I can't afford to make it work. 

Then there are the folks who chime in on most threads at some point. These guys seem to challenge themselves to see how many pieces of stuff they can hook up to stream. How can a chain of 4,5,6 components with all their connections and power supplies not have negative effects not to mention where do they put all this stuff?

I have a cable that comes into my house that plugs into the thing my desktop computer plugs into. I plug an Ethernet CAT8 cable into that (the box not my computer) then into my Node. 

What is the benefit of all individuals pieces? It sure doesn't seem like it saves any money at all. By the time you buy a few pieces of pie some hats, switches, clocks, sonores, rendues and whatever else I am forgetting. Then power supplies and cables to hook it all up.

Then there is the Roon camp. My best bud has Roon. Took Him a few grand including gear and a computer guy from the place he bought it ( he was nice enough help on his own time) and a week to make it work. So that kind of soured me on the Roon idea. 

Don't get me wrong I am a hands on person, pretty mechanical. But when my computer has problems if unplugging it for a day doesn't fix it I go buy a new one and start from scratch (usually have to send the wife to a friends place for a weekend it gets ugly real ugly). Complete idiot! 

In the end I would like the best streamer option I can get under say $2500. I need it to be as "plug and play" as possible or come with amazing instructions/guidance or even better someone that could actually teach me. Someone that can explain on my level. 

I am going to stop here as it seems I am rambling! I am probably leaving stuff out I am sure so please ask and I will fill in. 

I have a great sense of humor so feel free to have some fun with me, I will return it! I just want to make a good decision. Show me what I am missing or not!

Cheers.

J.F.

johnfritter

In fairness to you John then it must be said straight up that the Innuos Sense app does not yet have full Tidal integration. In practice what they do they have works very well but it does mean that if you want your fave Tidal albums to show up properly in Sense you have to add them as faves in Tidal or the Tidal app first. Playlists are a bit more clunky too but… the next major update for the Sense app is clear. We’re currently on v2.08. I would expect 2.09 to be preparing for Tidal Connect and I’d expect 3.0 to be full Tidal Connect integration. They have an excellent site which shows their full roadmap and, rather wonderfully, it’s user led i.e. we can use their app to not just report bigs but to also make feature suggestions and then seen how many others have asked for the same thing and what Innuos are doing about it.

Although you can thus get more instant gratification from elsewhere by going for devices which already have Tidal Connect I’d suggest you talk to people currently using Innuos Sense.

There are two good reasons to do this. Firstly, they will all talk about the sound quality since Sense came along, which is outstanding. Secondly, they will talk about the Qobuz integration i.e. the way Qobuz (French version of Tidal)  is seamlessly integrated into the app so that, even though there’s no Qobuz Connect, it feels like there is.

If they do half with Tidal of what they’ve done with Qobuz then it’ll be worth the wait. It’s just ludicrous and way ahead of all other apps from manufacturers.

John it's about desire.  

But when my computer has problems if unplugging it for a day doesn't fix it I go buy a new one and start from scratch

With the above mindset I just can't imagine you'll be happy very long with any streaming product. Things are gonna glitch there's no way to really avoid it BUT with some basic understanding and a troubleshooting strategy most of the time they can be fixed. Actually turning it off and restarting usually fixes over half your issues so you're part of the way there.    If you have time to listen to music you have time learn a new skillset and it could actually be fun.  OK,  I'm stretching it a little but it is satisfying when it starts working again.

Your only other option is to  find a family member who has spent the time and lean on them. I couldn't fix anything until I learned about it but today I can do lots of stuff. 

I just retired and should start computers ed class like drivers ed for all the people who no longer can rely on company tech support.

Cheers and good luck

@mahughes Thank you. I was curious as I didn't see any reference to it on their site. I did dig around and found the current, planed, and coming. That is very cool!

I will do my studying it may not matter. I will look for some videos about the app also. Thank you.

Cheers

J.F.

@danager Ive been streaming with the node 2i for two years now. I bought it to see how I liked that platform. Ive decided that having access to a library like that is pretty cool. So now I have decided to up my game a bit. So its not like I can't open an app and play music. 

Cheers

J.F.

I'm sure your more that capable but one of the best streamers out there is the Raspberry PI 4 with the PI2AES Pro Audio Shield

It requires following some computer directions to get it set up but lb per lb ... $ per $ it's a killer product.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/dummies-guide-to-pi2aes-throw-away-your-pc-or-laptop.8878/

but if takes effort.  To me well worth it but if you really are computer allergic as you stated above it's not the right product.