ESS speakers "Translinear" Transstatic

These were speakers designed by California based company called ESS, that is, Electro Static Sound before they used the Heil Air Montion transformer. These models were current in 1970-1975. I am curious if any one still owns either of the above models, or has seem them listed on any of them listed in the used audio web sites. They were incredible speakers for their time,and sounded as good as many of so-called elctrostatics of today. They used good driver elements, for example, the KEF B-139 oval driver for the bass response.If anyone has knowledge of either of these above vintage speakers,please leave info on this Web page. Thank you!!
sunnyjim

I've loved ESS since first hearing them back in the early 70's. Still have a couple pair with the large original Heil tweeters. One with original mylar and the other with Kapton diaphragms, still sound great to me! Just wondering if anyone has a pair or heard the model with the huge Heil woofer. Can't remember the name, Transtar?

This is my first viewing of the thread. I first heard the Transtatic I in 1971, and wanted a pair badly. Unfortunately, I was a starving musician (not literally ;-), so had to settle for a pair of Infinity 1001’s (the 2000A’s little brother). I also heard the Infinity Servo-Static I, which at around $2,000/pr was the most expensive speaker I had then heard. But there was something about them I just didn’t like.

Ten years later I was in a different financial position, and saw a pair of the Transtatics in The Recycler (a Los Angeles-area buy-and-sell rag) for $400, and snapped ’em up. One speaker’s original KEF B139 woofer had been replaced with a knock-off, so I called ESS in Sacramento to get another. They had one and only one B139 left!

Like @jermo I am in Washington State, but am keeping my Transtatics. Somewhere along the way I picked up some spare RTR ESL tweeters, but am keeping them as well. That RTR tweeter was the first ESL I had heard,,and it started my love affair with ESLs. By the way, the FMI (Fulton Musical Industries) Model J also employed the RTR ESL tweeter---six per speaker. In the 1970’s, the most transparent tweeter there was. Dave Wilson used an array of them in his original WAMM.

Just signed up. Funny, as original post was 21 yrs ago...

I have a pair of these ESS. Loved them for many years. 

Curious how audiophiles think they compare to Contemporary units?

Brian/So Cal (818) 590-8642

I'm almost 42. Grew up with the ESS AMT sound. In fact, until the recent hostile takeover, I used to run ESS' social media for the Ricky Caudillo era. 

I currently own my late father's AMT Monitors, a pair of Transar that I rebuilt, and as of today, a pair of nearly mint Transtatic I. 

The latter are, by far, the best of the bunch. And I say that as an AMT lover. 

I've also owned and rebuilt AMT-3 Rock Monitors, AMT-1A pyramids, a previous pair of Monitors, and too many PS series speakers, including the PS Model 4, which is among my favorites.

Commenting here because I'm interested in acquiring more RTR electrostatic panels, as it seems a few of you are selling.

Btw, I'm powering my Transtatics with a 43wpc Linear Tube Audio tube amp. I don't suffer for power or transient attacks or deep, authoritative bass. Heading into 2023, these are my new reference speakers. 

I can be reached at [email protected].

You can read more of my audio writing at SoundStage!, starting here: https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/blogging-on-audio/270-jason-davis/973-new-noise-1-embracing-the-unexpected