Which Tweeter preferred- dome natural material, Beryllium/Metal or Planar Ribbon? Why?

This is bugging me. Just as I think I have the

right answer it slips through my fingers. 

Let's not consider cost in this opinion poll.

For example-

Pick one of the types of tweeters

Choice- Planar Ribbon

Reason-Low moving mass and larger surface area vs domes.

Everyone should have an opinion here unless they are relatively new to the game.

Lets see if we all learn something new!

chorus

The ESS AMT will shine when played using a high current solid state amp, but they don't do nearly as well on tubes.

That's not my experience.  I heard them on a 12 watt SET amp and they were fantastic.  So much so that I purchased a pair of ESS and plan on using them on my DIY speakers.  

The time I heard them on a SS state amp they weren't nearly as impressive.  I'll admit completely different venue, music and presentation. 

Which is why you need to INSTANTANEOUSLY A/B them with everything else being IDENTICAL as I allowed for.  Did you watch the videos?

Maybe a different tube amp would have a different outcome, but others on another forum also find this to be true.

These are the ones that I have liked 

Corona Plasma Tweeter

• Frequency Response -1500 Hz - 150 kHz ±3dB
  • The most Natural effect on the entire sound spectrum for human hearing

RAAL Ribbon Tweeter 70-10

• Frequency Response: 2,000 Hz - 100 kHz
  • Quick, Agile, Effortless Overall Sound Presentation 

ELAC Omnidirectional 4Pi Plus Ribbon Super Tweeter

• Frequency Response: 10,000 - 50,000 Hz
  • Can be Seamlessly Integrated with Virtually Any Loudspeaker
  • Enhances the Sound from the Loudspeakers and Fills the Entire Room with Music

Well now this is getting good!!

Thank you all!!

Orf- At what frequency does a tweeter become  a super tweeter?

ggc- Was that Omni used is the Euro Elac line or the USA?

-Is the Corona Plasma Tweeter a thing of the past or still used?

[please excuse my poor English]

@toddalin

The ESS AMT will shine when played using a high current solid state amp, but they don’t do nearly as well on tubes.

In these videos, I went to extremes to match the volumes...

Thanks !! The difference is obvious: significantly more defined when powered by solid state.

But is this difference of "behaviour" (with SS vs tubes) specific to the ESS AMT tweeter? It seems the possible answer is YES: ESS 689-1108, for instance, has a 4 Ohm impedance. A 4 Ohms load will always require a lot more current to sing.

But, for instance, this Mundorf AMT tweeter (8 Ohms, 1,8Kg, and...$1145/piece!!) will need much less current, has a sensitivity of 100 dB => I guess any tube could deal with that. And then here, tube could be better through this transducer.

And, again, that speaker uses an AMT (unknown origin), and is a 8 Ohms load, min. 6,8 Ohms. Again, I am not affiliated to JMR in any way, but it is outstanding for the price.

My humble CONCLUSIONS

• the videos brilliantly demonstrate that high current SS are specifically preferable with the aforementioned ESS AMT tweeter, indeed.
  • But to make a general assessment that SS are a better match, on the base of only one model, is maybe misleading, as the Mundorf’s specification suggest (maybe others would, too).
  • It is possible that some other (high end? Expensive?) AMT tweeters easily accept tubes as well as SS, and does not favor the latter. So that their respective merits can more objectively shine through AMT’s. This could be the explanation of @danager ’s preference for tubes-with-AMT (cf. his very good experience with 12w SET tubes), who probably did his findings that with another AMT tweeter in use.