Jantzen Wax Coil or Mundorf M-Coil CFC

Hi Everyone,

Need to build a new crossover for my Tannoy Monitor Red. My first choice for inductor is Mundorf Copper Air , M-Coil CFC. But it don't have the value I need and so I have to ask Mundorf to custom made it for a price. Then I found the Jantzen Copper Wax Coil, which looks fancy and cheaper. However, Can't find any review online. 

I am wondering if anyone has experience with these coil and which is better? 

thanks
Vic
viclauyyc

Hi @erik_squires,

I like https://www.partsconnexion.com/ but they don’t sell inductors that I interest for Jantzen Wax Coils and Mundorf MCoil VLCU Paper Copper Film Inductors.

I experienced one paradox. I have Altec 604E speakers. I used DIY German crossover built with autotransformer. The LPF iron core inductor DCR was 0.2 Ohm.

Now I use n-1500 crossover with original old iron core inductor DCR = 0.32 Ohm and different modern PIO capacitors and Duelund resistors.

Bass reproduction with German DIY crossover was bloated. Despite higher inductor DCR, bass reproduction with n-1500 is much more controlled, textured and detailed. I just want to add n-1500 has around +3dB output on 5K-10K vs German DIY crossover, that can be an important factor.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi @yuviarora ,

Currently I use vintage iron core 1.5mH inductors with 0.32 Ohms DCR. And I like how do my speakers sound with my current crossover configuration.

I’m choosing between Jantzen Wax Coil 14AWG - 0.34R DCR and 12AWG - 0.25R DCR.

Jantzen Wax Coil 14AWG has a very similar DCR to my current inductor. Any reason to go to Jantzen Wax Coil 12AWG?

Regards,

Alex.

@alexberger if it's the for the mids, I'd go 12 gauge, the larger coil just sounds better in every way, at least it did in my speaker setup.  

Two weeks ago I received Jantzen Wax Coil 14 AWG inductors.

My Altec 604E speakers are super sensitive, so I decided 14AWG should be good enough.

Break-in takes a lot of time. In the beginning the sound was similar to my vintage Altec iron core inductors. The single major difference was much less congestion on complex music with the Jantzen inductor.

After a small amount of time dynamics and resolution improved. But the sound was lacking bass. Then the bass amount increased but height frequencies increased even more. Sound is still continuing to change. 

How long does it take a full break in of Jantzen Wax Coil 14AWG inductors?