Any direct comparisons between Decware SE34I.5 and SE84UFO2?

I’ve been unsuccessful finding many listening notes contrasting the character and tone of the 2 models. With the current long lead times I guess I could just order both and then easily sell one, but I’m not ready to start buying amps 2 at a time yet. (And if they’re any where near as good as the individual reviews claim, I’d probably end up keeping both.)

For my personal set up I’m not overly concerned about the power output difference. Either should be fine with Zu Soul Supremes. I have a Primaluna now so I have a few EL34 compatible tubes I could use, but I don’t have a benchmark on how different the same tube in a different amp would be. I realize both amps are using a pentode tube as a triode, but I’m not sure how different that is from a true triode SET.

There’s an element of ongoing exploration here. The easy answer is to try everything, but time and money are limiting factors. Is triode mode on the Primaluna giving me an idea of what to expect from a SET amp? Seems like having at least one of these is worthwhile even if some fancy boutique 300B monoblocks might be in my eventual future (the exception to the rule against buying 2 amps at once).

Please chime in with firsthand (or even secondhand) anecdotes, links to reviews I’ve missed, better search terms, cat pictures, or knock-knock jokes. Thanks.

cat_doorman

@joshwed

Thanks for the link. I think I did see this one, but it’s from 2002 so each of the models has gone through several upgrades since then. Now I think both amps use the same output transformers which brings the sound closer together than previous iterations. I think they’re working on orders from a year ago currently. My indecision added many months to my wait. I think upgrading my preamp was the right choice though. I was sure about that, and it made a bigger difference than switching between amps does. 

@cat_doorman 

Yeah....it is quite old and things have changed.  I'm considering putting an order into the queue--but then will also need a carryover since my current rig fried recently.

Have also been considering a dynaco st70 rebuild from Will Vincent.  Ever listened to one?

@joshwed 

My experience is fairly limited because I'm basically a hermit and only ventured into tube amps a few years ago. Another little Class A amp that a few people have recommended is Inspire by Dennis Had. There are probably a few threads about it or other amps he's designed over the years. He sells on eBay now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154825814217?hash=item240c5670c9:g:YA0AAOSwco1fV~aS