Your method for discovering great music.

I'm in a slump. It has been a while since I've discovered new music that I really like. And when I say "new" I mean new to me. Maybe even rediscovered would count as new.

I do not have a method. I usually stumble into new music that I like. I also don't have loads of hours to sort through tons of stuff I don't like. Plus I find that random sort of pursuit to be frustrating and unrewarding most of the time.

Amazon Music had half decent 'recommended for you' lists but I don't recall if that ever paid off. I use Qobuz now which sucks in that particular department.

I've found a few bands that I like from recommendations here at Audiogon but I have not been here much lately.

So I'm curious as to how some of you approach that search for great music that is either actually new, new to you or rediscovered.

n80

@n80,

Did you try the AM stations?...:) Just kidding☺

@n80,

It used to be that way but take a look at @mahgister’s post on this thread and press play. You will see he has posted an active video link of a particular artist with added commentary. Scroll back and press play on the YouTube video @mahgister took the time to post and write about.

I don't know about jazz. 

It's been right in front of you all this time and you haven't noticed it.

On this very agon site many post on Jazz for aficionados everyday a ton of music and have been doing so since 2/24/2013.

Only recently has the moderators made it possible to post active music links from YouTube.

Some of us don’t need a lot of commentary when being introduced to new music.

All I need is for someone to say, check this out, then after I’ve heard the (album) tunes then we can talk. You are mistaken if you think there is no communication between the posters there. Take a closer look.

Go on, take another look at Jazz for aficionados and click last, then go backwards and you will find so much new ’active’ content and commentary it will take you hours or even days to get through it all. And there is some serious music presented there.

Check it out, remember to click last and go backwards until you get what it is I’m talking about and let me know what you think. Now if you don't like Jazz...

@mahgister,

Same for India...

My thoughts exactly, as India was once part of Persia. This music is hauntingly similar. Perhaps the absence of drums, bells and chimes is an example of a single artist/masters performance of a particular instrument to be recorded for posterity or the sheer delight of the recording engineer/producer.

@dizbuster,

I got two Brazil drummers or should I say percussionist for you.

Airto Moreira and Dom Um Romão. Check ’em out.☺

I think you just might like ’em, if you don't already...

WNCW is a fantastic radio station. You can stream it. Weekend late nite can get quite amazing if you microdose. 

Audio reviewers have been known to present some interesting sounds.

And the Echoes radio program is usually good for introducing new tracks and groups. Just a few minutes ago Randall Meeks and Fall Therapy. 

@tyray ++++ for Dom check out his Saudades album on Waterlilly, sponsored by Vandersteen Audio…. a rare recording of fantastic dynamic music.