Books!

I realized that all of my other hobbies - cooking, biking, photography, brewing, have plenty of books written about them, and I in turn have many of them. Listening to my stereo system is probably the hobby I spend the most time with yet have absolutely no books on the subject. So I ask of you, what are the essential books? 
I will l note I’m more interested in the “how to listen” flavor versus the super super technical end of things. Ideally it would be a nice mix of both, how a and b leads to this, and how c and d leads to that and later on I could get more into the engineering side. Also would be interested in historical context reads. Lastly I would like recommendations that are actually published in book form. Look forward to your responses.  Thanks all! 
128x128sammyshaps
Post removed 

@brown12

All 3 are very difficult subjects to write about.

To this day I haven’t seen a better book on psychology than Eric Berne’s A Layman’s Guide to Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis.

It’s the only one I remember out of the dozens I have read.

I’ve yet to read a really good book on either Freud or Jung.

What about hypnosis? Is there even a single decent book written about it?

Henry Hazlitt’s Thinking as a Science is certainly a book I wish I’d read much earlier in life. As is Rolf Dobelli’s The Art of Thinking Clearly (which was impossible as it was only published in 2013).

Both books are a distillation of an enormous amount of experience and knowledge gathered in an easy to read volume.

I’ve read dozens of books on the Beatles but Mark Lewisohn’s renders most of them redundant.

Best book on Lennon?

How about Albert Goldman’s The Many Lives of John Lennon?

I’ve yet to read his book on Elvis but I’m hoping it will be more memorable than Peter Guralnick’s efforts.

Heinrich Harrer’s 1959/64 book ’The White Spider’ remains my favourite book on mountaineering.

When it comes to books on personal computers apart from Carey Holzman’s The Healthy PC (now sadly out of both print and date) I found nothing memorable.

What about novels?

How many can you call truly great?

Anna Karenina, A Christmas Carol, The Great Gatsby, The Trial, 1984, Tropic of Capricorn, Remembrance of Things Past, Young Man in the Sun, Tom Sawyer, The Rose (Charles L Harness), Wuthering Heights are the ones that immediately come to mind though I must have read hundreds.

The vast majority of which I now have little recollection.

Life is too short and time is too precious to waste on books.

Just like with audio playback, you want the very best that’s out there.

It’s also very important to be able to put what you read into some form of practical use.

There’s nothing wrong with reading for entertainment or escapism, and I should know, but just how many decent reads are out there when you have mostly mountains of dross being churned out on a daily basis.

There’s also mountains of books being pulped and deleted forever everyday but sadly not all of them are dross either.

We all might have different tastes, but what you read can really matter and make a difference.

Here’s a writer I’ve never read (along with Dostoevsky), but I’ve always liked this quote.

"Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer." E.M. Forster, Howards End

Here’s another by our good friend @mahgister

"If you are about to die, because life is short, almost all books are not so much important... Save very few one...."

Indeed.

It's funny to me really. Robert Harleys book IS excellent, but what the Hell were they thinking by putting such corny cover right on the front? A cartoonish playboy on the couch with his girl and a drink. Well, I guess you would have to see it. I was going to get a newer copy of it anyway. Then, just as much to my surprise, is Jim Smith's box, which I also consider excellent for what it has to offer. Only this the whole damned thing has not very well drawn cartoons in it to 'help' with the descriptions/examples. In that case, I had also purchased the DVD thinking it might have another angle to offer from the book, but it was just the author standing there reading his book to you. I gave it away.

Having these criticisms (yes minor, but annoying) I still would recommend BOTH books, as there are important facts to consider in each. It's not just about whether or not that you agree wholeheartedly with either, but that the points are mostly well made, and have helped considerably. 

Post removed 
Post removed