CD transport vs.streaming

Many have stated on this forum that the SQ from their CDs is superior to the sound from streaming sources. Others have said the opposite. Weirdly, in side by side identical tracks the sound from my Cyrus CDt sounds identical to my Cambridge CXN v2 streamer. I wonder if anyone else has this experience.

128x128rvpiano

Another issue that drove me from physical cd playback is the consumable nature of transports. My last wonderful transport was Mark Lenvinson #37, this had Phillips Pro mechanism and much  proprietary mounting and logic. When it died repair was going to be well over $750. I tried other transports, none could replicate the performance, I tried diy modding on one, no dice, as a result I entered cd rips and streaming realm. I've also had a few other cheaper transports die on me over the years, recently junked an Emotiva I was using in bedroom system. I tried self repair, $13 Sanyo transport mechanism, problem was logic related instead. You'd be surprised how many pretty costly transports use $15-$20 mechanisms! Not to say there are some some good ones still being made such as the ProJect.

Those judging streaming as poor sounding simply haven't heard a proper setup. Getting high quality sound out of streaming is not cheap or easy, expecting it to is a fools errand.

With my Experience CD or DSD Physical media usually sounds better than its equivalent of the same song being streamed

@larryro2 

Great point!  

Honestly, equipment sounds better than many live events I've been, and with workable price-points!!  As far as the OP is concerned ... I can't discern a difference between SACD, CD or streaming ... all good!

In these streaming versus physical media discussions I think we should also consider that the reimbursement rates (pennies) to the artists for their creativity and work are such in most streaming options that the artists can not make a decent living. It is especially hard when ability to offer live concerts is being thwarted by Covid restrictions. Besides fairness issues it may well result in much less  new artistic material being made over time.

Play Hard Copy SACD’s and CD’s? (I’ve got a whole hellofa lot of them).

Beyond the digital source, after content and recording: it’s a recipe of various: Processor(s); Over clocking, Over sampling; Anti-Jitter, .... that you hear.

I think of ’Preferred’ and ’BETTER’.

1. BETTER: Get thee a Sony xa5400ES (SACD and CD).

Improves the sound of Every CD and processes SACD DSD without PCM conversion.

me: "FUNDAMENTALS. I think there is a tighter, firmer, more solid, ... start to the fundamental of Each and Every Note. Improved overtones, volume and time decay all follow that BETTER start. I have never heard a CD sound so good anywhere.

before I found the Sony:

Preferred: CD

2. Onkyo Integra CDC-3.4 Mark II Changer

I highly recommend the sound of this with it’s dual Wolfson processors and all of Onkyo/Integra’s tricks applied.

How to describe the difference: Like my AT33PTG/II cartridge, compared to any cartridge with less tight channel balance, EVERYTHING is a speck more distinct. Not bright, not sharp, a very thin veil removed allowing refined clarity. Imaging is the same width, but within that, main vocal, backup singers, specific musicians, simultaneously more precise.

A small improvement to EVERYTHING, is a LOT!!!

3. Preferred SACD and CD, I chose Yamaha DVD-C961 DVD Changer

me: "The DVD-C961 has four two-channel Burr Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs for the stereo and 5.1-channel output sections to provide absolute sonic transparency."

It sounds terrific, as good as the former winner, Integra CDC-3.4 mark II which I will now sell. Different Processors, Different OEM Bag-O-Tricks whatever they are."

the quest

Sony xa5400ES

DSD converted to PCM???

Better CD Sound