Which Tweeter preferred- dome natural material, Beryllium/Metal or Planar Ribbon? Why?

This is bugging me. Just as I think I have the

right answer it slips through my fingers. 

Let's not consider cost in this opinion poll.

For example-

Pick one of the types of tweeters

Choice- Planar Ribbon

Reason-Low moving mass and larger surface area vs domes.

Everyone should have an opinion here unless they are relatively new to the game.

Lets see if we all learn something new!

chorus

@danager Well, Charlotte is but 2ish hours from me.  I suspect the dealer would take one look at me and accurately judge me a 'lookie Lou'.  So I'd have to talk extremely fast, rent a car that would require return Immediately if not sooner, dress beyond spouse's comprehension, and enter with some willowy blond that would also need to be....'rented'. *L*

But, agreed...I'd love to hear them as well.  It would spoil me worst than being staked out in the yard for a month after untimely demise (although some here would demand a stop-motion vid to verify that fate...). 

Meanwhile, the 30K$ is a bit of a pause...but being the sneaky SOB I can certainly aspire to....

ESS will sell you direct 18 of the large Heils' for $3,582 plus tax & shipping.
They're heavy, so the latter will be substantial.
Throw in the extra $18 and you can have 18 BT adapters and a choice of 2 versions of headphones....wipe out your gifting for years... ;)

They offer their 10" woofers for 149$ each....get as many as you think you could tolerate....the passive radiators for them are 110$ each, but to duplicate the Apollos'. not really required....

Crossovers...I'd go with some pro version.  I like my Behringer 2496 and you can tweak yourself into a puddle...*teehee*

OK, you're down about 5~6K$.

Cabs...Heils' are dipoles, and ESS doesn't 'cab' them....why should you?
I can suggest a line source frame that would make wood blush, but I'd go with aluminum.

Woofer cabs....Apollo's are lovely, but the design is ancient.  Personally I work in wood, so not an issue....for me, anyway.

Sweat equity in assembling something that'll crack sheetrock. *Evil G*

I've just saved you nearly 20K$.

I'll bill you later.  ;)

When would you like to begin?

Regards, J.

(ESS ought to give a discount on a 'bulk buy', but they've already discounted on them....Promise pics of the end product....;)...  The Heil AMT is too good to let fade into obscurity or bankruptcy...and NO, I'm not a dealer and I don't get a commission on anything.  I'm just a fan....)

Y’all could do so much better if you’d try....Really.

*kicks soapbox into the corner...

Do this simple exercise.  Disconnect the mid and bass drivers leaving only the tweeter.  Play some music.  It's impossible to tell if the tweeter is good or not.  Meaning one can only tell how good a tweeter is once it is integrated to the rest of the speakers.

@asvjerry 

Sounds doable but Heil only go down to 800Hrz  the Apollo go down to 125Hrz to cover most of the vocal range.  They custom built them which why I suspect the price. 

As soon as my baffles get built (waiting on my cousin but the labor is cheap... beer mostly)  I'm planning a OB two way using the big Heil and a 15 inch woofer. 

I'd bet Apollo has an open house that you could listen too without the rent a blonde but then  again you don't get to rent a blonde.

Designer and manufacture of Arion Apollo speakers.

Hey asvjerry, I applaud your enthusiasm for AMT drivers.

The Apollos are dipoles. The $30K includes two towers, two woofer modules, woofer amplification and a Trinnov ST2 processor. We build our own AMT drivers in house. We do need to make a few dollars to keep the lights on :-)

The Apollo all AMT towers are high passed at 120Hz and can be driven by 2 watt SET amps or any other amps to very high SPLs. Don't try that with a stack of ESS Heil divers, or any other AMT for that matter. They are very good drivers though.

Please stop by in your most comfortable form. No blond or fancy car required. We are proud of our accomplishments and like to share, whether you are a buyer or not.

Mike