SVS PB16 Ultra vs JL Fathom 113 vs ???

Looking for a high output high sound quality sub.  Read as must be capable of adding tons of clean low end for bass heavy music.  

Looking to keep it under 3k new or used.

yukispier

The Funk Audio 18 is not really a high output subwoofer.  It is a small enclosure 18" sealed sub.  It's performance numbers are online and it is really nothing special.  It is a good looking sub, but top performer it is not (at least in output).  

How big is your room?

What gear are you currently using?

How loud are you looking to get?

I also like bass heavy music. IME I found multiple subs to be much better than a single sub. I have two SVS SB4000’s in my system along with two other brands. The SVS are my workhorse subs. They take everything I throw at them with ease. I routinely pressurize my room in the range of 95 to 100 db and once in a great while I will fall off the deep end and pressurize to about 112 db. I am not a fan of ported subs or automatic room correction, though in fairness I do not have a lot of experience with auto correction. I am a big fan of using some type of crossover in the integration.

@gregfaunce --

"The SVS PB16 Ultra and Fathom F113 (both of which I owned) don’t deliver much slam at all. If you are wanting to feel some slam on bass heavy music you will have to most likely up your budget. Remember one mans insanity is another mans moderation. I have owned over 14 different subs in the last 4 years. The only ones that deliver the sort of thing that you are describing is when I had 2 JTR RS2 Captivators. Those literally damaged a ton of stuff in my house. If you need help with output questions I have a huge databass of all third party tested sub measurements. I can help you there. A pro audio sub may do what you want, they don’t go much below 30hz but they punch very hard in the music "realm" of bass. Those can hit 135db for probably in your price range. That would give you chest thump."

Good input. Forgot to mention JTR is my previous post - definitely a good option. It’s a shame the LFU version of the Orbit Shifter front loaded horn is no longer in their repertoire, it seems, and the pro version with its just below 40Hz tune misses the LF-beat with movies in particular.

Mr. Ricci’s line of DIY subs over at databass (if that’s what you’re referring to), all of them basically high order band pass iterations, are true monsters - just great subs delivering high output, clean and effortless bass. True "audiophile" bass if ever there was any. Some of them have variable tune, and even the lower tune options (i.e.: 15-20Hz) shouldn’t see port noise issues in home environments at all but war volume.

The problem with lower tuned, low efficiency subs - or just low eff. subs in general - very often is lack of midbass presence or "slam" in this region. It’s not simply an issue of frequency response, nor that infrasonics "divert" the energy or focus away from the midbass.

"The Funk Audio 18 is not really a high output subwoofer. It is a small enclosure 18" sealed sub. It’s performance numbers are online and it is really nothing special. It is a good looking sub, but top performer it is not (at least in output)."

Agreed. Looks and exclusivity, both of which the Funk’s ooze (though I’m sure they’re very good subs), are "audiophile" traits, remember. In my book Funk Audio subs are too expensive in relation to output, but many don’t value high output capability here as anything other than that, when in reality prodigious headroom through efficiency and very large displacement area are key factors in providing for an effortless, smooth and clean bass with slam as well.

Just a question; Isn't SPL (output) related to air movement? With a minimum of 3 inches of cone travel and very large surface area, they move a lot of air. Am I missing something?🙃