Speakers for daughter

I was going to buy powered small speakers for my daughter's first sound system to go with A Project Debut Carbon Evolution but now she seems ok to accept an integrated amplifier from me to power speakers. Thinking about the Elac UNI-FI UB 51 or ELAC Uni-FI Slim B5 U5 after researching similar priced speakers such as the Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2, Paradigm Monitor SE Atom, Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, and Kef 150. I have not listened to any speakers yet at the price point. Any comments?

mjs

I would let your daughter hear the different speaker choices herself.  The main reason is that women in general, especially a younger one, can hear a lot higher frequencies that her dad!  Do the youtube high frequency sound tests, and you will be surprised how much of a higher frequency range your daughter will be able to detect over you.  So a speaker that sounds great to you, with lots of high frequency detail, may in fact hurt her ears.  I’ve experienced this hearing discrepancy with my wife whenever we auditioned speakers.  What sounded clear and airy to me would sometimes hurt her ears.  Consequently, I had to buy speakers that she could tolerate in the upper registers.  Hope this helps your search!

I agree with several of the thoughts expressed. The visual appearance could be a lot more important than we men may think it is. I also agree with her being able to hear the speakers if at all possible. Young people do have different/better hearing.

The other folks, selling other speakers, can beat up on Elac. I have seen and heard what Andrew Jones has designed on HUGE budgets and on very, very inexpensive budgets. When I first heard the F5s many years ago at $560 a pair I was floored by the sound. 

Two years ago I bought the entire F5.2 set, Fs, Bs, and a center for my small TV-only room. with an old REL Storm III sub the sound is great. I've also run both sets of Elac speakers in my audio room for fun and they performed very well.

KEF Q350 - 499$ on sale at Crutch…* w/ free shipping through this month - hard to beat uni-q point source driver if you have less than optimum room placement options.  It’s a little above your budgeted price but worth listening to.  

Go Full range, Forget all the above recommends, Go Full range.

Davidlouis on ebay offers a  8, however he is still waiting for inventory on his VX8, he has a  single pair left and raised his price to $1200, I paid $550 6 months ago.

I suggested to him that his speaker manufacturer may not ever ge the cones back in stock to make the speaker, Its my guess VOXATIV bought up all/every wood cone to use in their speakers and advised the cone maker they would buy all/every cone made, so as  to keep Davidlouis OOB.

Vox knows if DavidLouis is seklling the excat same cone for $550,  its a no brainer no one will buy Voxativ's $5000 speaker, as both have the same identical cone..

David chuckled last month,,**ahh no Paul, fact is I will  have the cones back in Janurary,,** He doubs my theory. WEll here we are 2 days from Feburary, and he still does not have the cones in stock.

His VX6 is good, but the VX8 is better. This is the speaker that will suit best your your daughters music.

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-160M are also on sale and within your budget.