Affordable vs. ultra expensive speakers - what's the difference?

Candidate 1: Affordable at about 3K

Candidate 2: Ultra expensive at 50K.

So what's the difference?

andy2

For your next two cars, buy $30k cars instead of $50k cars and you've got an endgame speaker with the savings.

Ok, that's a bit of a dumb comment, but given what people spend on cars, Starbucks, etc. the money spent on things that last a lifetime and used everyday are truly valuable. No one second guesses their purchase of a good kitchen knife, right? Same principle.

Put the less costly speaker in the best acoustical possible room for it and put the costly one in an ordinary room..

You will have your answer...

For sure the high  probability that the costlier one is better because best designed  with more qualified component  is there...The price margin is huge here...

But no speaker at any price can beat the room anyway say a famous acoustician....

i will trust acoustic over any difference in price .... Save if this low cost speakers are really bad...

So what's the difference?

Measurements would be a way to know what the differences are.

Flowery words like the Crutchfield quote, “…have it in spades…” sounds a lot like the gardening section review at Home Depot.

I’ll say this, at about $7k/pr I bet the Joseph Audio Profiles blow your $3200/pr speakers way outta the water. Whole different level at relatively not much more $. Or, look at LSA-20 Statement here at $2500/pr and get comparable/better sound for even less. When you start talking about much higher-dollar speakers, you’re usually getting much higher quality parts and cabinet, and if the designer knows what he’s doing that usually leads to more magical performance if it matches well with your tastes and system. At that level, it becomes more of an art that requires more effort but much more potential. Listen to a pair of Joseph Audio Pearl 3s for $35k, for example, and they’ll just blow your $3k speakers into the weeds. If you don’t understand that concept, you haven’t heard high-end audio, which is why I suspect you asked this question in the first place.

The way you ask your question, it’s kinda like asking what’s the difference between a $10 bottle of wine and a $300 bottle of wine   It takes some time to appreciate the difference  

But, the previous auto comparison applies. Buy a Honda Accord, but at the same price differential you you applied you could have a top Ferrari or Porsche. I think it’s an apt and accurate comparison, assuming you like the sound of the more expensive speakers — but technically, they do most things better. Same with cars.