SME 30/2 Controller

Looking to get some questions answered regarding a 2004 30/2 turntable. The controller has the knob instead of push buttons and I believe it to be the 2nd generation as the box is longer format. Does the latest controller work with the existing motor?

The O-Rings are original and the table has been in the box unused since 2009. Is a belt and new rings needed because of age?

The platter is the mustard/green color but it seems that it was not a change other than color.

If anyone knows pricing please enlighten me!

Thanks for any help.

hifipf

I am not business savvy in any way, and couldn’t tell a revenue stream from a slap in the face, but I too find it odd that SME will, apparently, not sell items that customers patently want to buy.

Quite why the V arm (all arms??) were withdrawn from standalone sale is beyond my understanding. What do Michell, Avid, etc do now, go to Rega for arms? It appears that to buy a V arm now you have to purchase how high up the TT ladder? 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30?? A product well-loved, or at least respected, by most in this arena, and marketed as ’the best pick-up arm in the world’ is now essentially not for sale. Glad I have mine, and it’s not going anywhere near any tanks.

PG was there are noticeable difference between the 2 controllers? Is so what did the new controller add? 

I certainly remember hearing a slight lowering of the noise floor, giving the music just a little more presence. But it was some years ago, and I would not wish to make too strong a claim. In any case I remember it as being slight but worthwhile. I certainly did not think, 'I will pack this up and send it back'. 

With the new controller it is somewhat easier to adjust the speed (on the older one it was necessary to insert a special screwdriver). 

The tower gaps as set with the tool provided simply set the upper platform level with an optimal “stretch” on the elastomers of the system. All the fluid in the pots do is help damp any bounce that might occur. This is unlikely as the unit should be placed on a fairly substantial platform. The towers are not “shocks” where the internals are charged to provide rebound etc. the shock absorption comes from the elastomers. Overall, the height of the towers do not matter in the overall use of the table. However, they should not be able to bottom out the elastomers, nor should they be set so the elastomers don’t have much tension. Otherwise, they cannot do their job properly. Be sure to set the height with the table fully assembled platter installed and arm of choice installed to assure proper level on the upper plinth.

Regarding the damping of the V tonearm, that is entirely different and has nothing to do with the isolation of the platform. Some don’t run damping fluid in the tonearm reservoir at all, I’ve tried it both ways and prefer to damp the tonearm. It seems to give the arm more presence and body. YMMV.

The tower heights are set without the record clamp on, yes?  The manual implies this I think, but I did always wonder.

I don't have any damping fluid for my V, but had some on an earlier IV. I am intrigued to find that you say it improves the V. Most online comments suggest it isn't worth the hassle/expense. I imagine it depends on cartridge compliance (says he without quite understanding what that means).