AKM makes the best DACs

OK, before you flame a reply to my heading please read this section.

It is a terrible idea to judge a DAC based on the chip.  I don't think consumer's should ever do that. I think there is a lot that goes into a good external DAC unit and the converter chip is just one of many factors that go into the final sound.

Having said that, it turns out I tend to like the sound of DACs with AKM chips over most others.  A long time ago I would have said the same about Burr Brown.

For converters which use an all in one chip what is the brand you find yourfself more likely to like the sound of vs. not?

erik_squires

If there was a "best" dac....or a "best" speaker...or a "best" amplifier......what a boring hobby this would be. The word BEST should never be used in Hi-Fi discussions. :>)

Have an older AVA multibit dac and a few AKM  chip based dacs.  They are all well designed and sound nice. Dac chips are like ice cream flavors.  Sometimes you want one flavor sometimes you want another.  It's just nice to have the options.  🙂

I agree w/the poster...and disagree w/anyone who says that different chips from different manufacturers don't have their own sound.  AKM is the clear leader [pun intended], closely followed by the Burr Brown 17 series, esp the 1795.

I've got the Hegel top-of-their-line DAC.  Guess which chip they used? To say that it is "highly resolving" is to make an understatement...detail upon detail, which is what I like ~ but not necessarily what everyone is looking for, obviously.

And so, I get why some folks favor the ESS, for their more subtle/somewhat smoother sound ~ not as in your face.  It's about preference, and how it sounds w/your setup, in your room.  What can we not make this statement about?  

AKM all the way vs ESS Sabre’s. I have multiple daps and the AKM’s sound better to my ear vs the “brighter” ess chips. I’ve experienced this in multiple Astel n Kern daps….