CHANGING FROM AUDIO RESEARCH TO AUDIO NOTE SYSTEM 

Dear All,

I got hooked by the SET sound and am considering selling my Audio Research based system (REF 5 SE preamp and REF150 power) and Wilson SOPHIA 3 speakers. In exchange I would buy a level 3/4 system. M3 phono balanced input pre, P3 Tonnmeister power and AN E AN-E-SPe HE 98db or  AN-E/SPx ALNICO 95 dB speakers. 

However, considering the good quality I already have, I fear being a little downgraded. Wonder what is your opinion. 

My room allows corner placement, and has 30 m2 with 2,4 m height ceiling. 

Best regards,

128x128pfmaudio

@charles1dad , When I heard the O96 with Jadis the preamp was a REF6, so the REF5Se will indeed work very very well with the JADIS, you’re right. 

@tomic601 , yes I am moving from one world to a different one, although choosing a tube amplification base like ARC started because I always liked the sound of tunes, even ARC, who narrows the gap between tube and ss. However, I want to change from high power pentodes to low power pure class A SET’s. It’s a move form the middle to the other extreme. 

@ghasley , great ideia. I Will send John an email regarding this and try the Ref80 on triode mode. 
However, I believe what had me hooked on the JADIS and O96 was the synergy between the two. Not only the sound of the O96 but also the sound of SET’s by JADIS. 

Another try is changing only the power and speakers for the AN and in the future waiting for an used AN preamp ( I saw an used Phono M6 in Choice HiFi, but when I called it was already sold). With this option I would reduce the inicial cost. There’s an issue with this solution. I wanted to reduce the number os boxes in the room. With the M3 Phono, I would sell my ARC PH7, using the phono stage of M2 plus a SUT for my MC cartridge.This way I would be in audio heaven. As I have my TT and phono preamp away from the loudspeakers, power and preamp, I need a 20ft cable ( I am using Transprent Reference SE) and I believe it is a weak point in the system. My idea is to put the M3 near the TT and SUT and then connect to the power with a 20ft cable. It will be better solution. But I can always do it in the future. 

I also must say that the AN system didn’t impress me as much as the Devore/ Jadis

@pfmaudio

This comment from you really solidifies in what direction you should head. Our interaction with listening to music is an emotionally deep and engaging one. Always choose the audio components that stir your musical soul and move you the most. It’s an utterly individual decision and as personal as anything can be.

I can sense that you are acutely aware of this. You currently have a very fine audio system (One that many would be proud and happy to own). Yet the Jadis 300b/Orangutan-96 got to you and I can understand why. I believe that you’re on the right track (For what pleases you most) and you’ll get this sorted  out.

Best wishes,

Charles

I like the AN stuff having just demoed AN a month or so ago. I bought a pair of Charney Companions to pair with my Art Audio Jota/Lamm LL2. Charney I think is better in all categories. I'd have been happy with AN but what I have sounds as good as anything I've ever heard with that sense of immediacy or palpability or whatever it is that makes the SET/low impedance combo so compelling. 

@pfmaudio 

Hi, I started this hifi journey a couple of years ago. Last year I has the opportunity to experience AN and sold all my gear and build an all integrated AN system: AN Meishu Silver with E4300 and rest all NOS tubes, ANJ/Spe speakers, AN Cables all around, and a simple DAC. Marveled at what I get. 8W of pure haven. So much so that I have an order for a new AN Meishu Tonemeister Silver SE Integrated, and AN CD-5 CD Player and an AN 4.1x DAC. I have found that the AN Dealers do a lot of the speaker placement in your room to get the most of the system. My room is 15 x 13, and it is a dedicated room. 

I have heard Wilson speakers with Mcintosh, with VAC and with AR gear. The sound is incredible, but is a completely different presentation. If you are looking to direct what you are hearing, I believe you will be better served with your current system. If you want to turn on the music and wish you can continue listening for days on end AN is your route.

Don't know where you are located, but if in South Florida, Soundlux Audio is your to go place for AN.

Good luck.