Synergistic Orange and purple fuses popping

Synergistic Orange and purple fuses popping

I recently upgraded all my gear with the new Synergistic orange and purple fuses (15 in all) What a difference! My Cary SLP-05 preamp with 8 Vintage Tungsten  6SN7 tubes is having problems with the Orange and Purple Synergistic fuses in the power supply. For some reason when I turn on the preamp amp after warming up the powersupply unit, the 2 power supply fuses pop. So far Synergistic has been gracious and replaced them twice now. I increased  the 2 large slow blow fuses from 1amp to 2amps after asking Cary audio what I should try. I also spoke with Synergistic and they agreed their fuses are sensitive but all the stock fuses I ever used have worked flawlessly. Any body out there with any similar problems and maybe a solution? Any upgraded hi-fi fuses that may be less prone to popping? I think it may be due to a current rush (tube related) when I go from off to on. Help!

Thanks

gregtheis

OP Fuses are in the ears of the listener, I seldom recommend a brand. I use SR blue and orange. I also use ACMEs very good fuse.

Those speakers are heavy. Man alive. I've tipped up a few over 600 lbs. Heavy enough. :-)

Cary likes fancy fuses, and a good power cable. My Mac, Threshold, First Watt or VTL didn't give a hoot. Huge power supply usually means fuses don't do squat. :-) A large enough and well constructed power cable is a different matter. Everything likes the right PC. 

I'm a small planar/ribbon guy. My monitors are hybrid line source design. 425lb each but there is no bass of any kind in them. GRs servo and my SAT Bass Columns. I'm a happy camper.

I have a couple of friends that get mad about the whole fuse thing. Me I'm an old beat up heavy mechanic. I haven't seen everything, but I sure have seen a lot. Either they sound better or they don't. 50/50 for me. I think it's because of the age and type of gear, fancy fuses affect my gear less.

Regards

oldhvymec and other audio nuts out there:

noromance solved my fuses popping on start up. I just reversed the order and turned the power supply on last as the rectifier tube in the preamp warms up slowly. Wala the fuse held. Now to break in the new purple fuses and hopefully hear what many are claiming. Better overall sound!

As a continuing audioholic, I''ve spent considerable energy and resources upgrading everything over many years. The result I have lets me pretend I am at a rock cocert  or a symphony orhestra with somme pretty good realism. No more concerts since the whole pandemic so this is the next best thing. Lots of fun and never ending quest for the holy grail. It's either that or bars and women. Wife wouldn't like that so she lets me do my stereo obsession. Next thing I'm gonna tackle the room acoustics. Called Synergy and started researching their stuff. It will probably be my next post.

Greg

Good! :-) If I don't do anything but have people prove me wrong, you still got a fix.. That's better than eatin' bugs. :-)

Time to feed the chickens! Come on Dog.. 

Regards

Not proving you wrong and really appreciate you sharing your vast experience on this. I know you were right as this is likely just a temporary fix till the caps get worse. As you suggested and so did Ted from Synergy, the preamp shouldn't pop a slow blow fuse when you turn it on unless something is not right!

Well being able to use it is a good start.. :-) I have to roll a C2500 in and a C45 out of my system. I'm so lazy! :-) BUT I just got it fixed. Wife is driving me nuts as usual. She will listen for 2 days and come out with a list.. LOL Good ears. The FIX will be a pair of matched Blackburn or Telefunken. 

I would like to try a Cary pre like a 98 or 05. I'm so use to tone control and Mac, tough to change. I've heard a few Carys though...

Happy Happy..