Coda CB vs 2016 07X

Anyone familiar with Coda? I have an opportunity to get either the Coda CB for $2750 or a 6 yrs old 07X for $3000. There's a lot out there about the 07X after 2019. I have their no.8 amp coming and looking for a decent pre. 

tmac1700

Dealer told me the CP and CB are the same...just the CP has the phono stage. I have a hard time believing a 3k pre amp is on par with the 6.5k 07X. He said the CB is the practically same as whats in the CSiB. @yyzsantabarbara have you ever considered a tube pre amp with the no.8?

I was considering ARC LS28. But the 20k minimum impedance matching has me a little nervous.  

I am using a tube preamp some days with the office setup. At the moment the CODA #8 is my headphone amp. In a week or 2, I will change it up so that the CODA #8 becomes my speaker amp and my KRELL 175XD is my headphone amp. I rotate these amps every few weeks because they both sound good in both applications. With the speakers, I have 2 preamps ready to go. The CODA 07x and the Schitt Freya+. I just need to switch the XLR cable on the speaker amp to either the cable from the Coda 07x or Freya+.

I have heard the Freya+ with the CODA #8, but that was when the Freya+ was brand new. I thought it was not bad. It had that tube bloom and was very quiet. I need more time to figure out what type of music I like the Freya+ with. The Freya+, with 100+ hours, is not anywhere near the sound quality of the 07x. The 07x is warm like the Freya+ but it also has a lot of details in the mix. The Freya+ is quieter. though However, I do like the no warmth Benchmark LA4 ($2.5K) over the $7200 Coda 07x on the CODA #8. 

I should add that I do like the Freya+ a lot with my Benchmark AHB2 amp when used with my RAAL SR1a headphones. Unfortunately, I had to sell 1 of my AHB2's to fund the KRELL 175XD.

BTW - if anyone is thinking of the CODA #8 vs the KRELL XD stereo amps. I would take the KRELL. The CODA #16 is a different matter. I was planning on upgrading the #8 to the #16 before the CODA price increases on Jan 1, 2022. However, I decided to get the KRELL 175XD instead before the KRELL price increases (I had a great deal). The KRELL 175XD has made me question the need for the upgrade of the CODA #8 to the #16. I am really happy with the #8 now. Not saying any of this makes sense.

I have a Coda #8 paired with an LA4 and it’s an amazing combination.  I previously had a Freya+ and while it’s almost unbeatable for the price and I had quite a lot of fun tube rolling, it wasn’t transparent enough for my liking.  The #8 is a standout compared to other amps that I’ve owned to the point that I can’t see ever letting go of it even if I do upgrade (#16?) in the future.  I would like to try a 07x or a higher end tube preamp for a bit more warmth, but I’m also considering a change to less bright speakers instead to get the same effect while maintaining the crystal clear transparency of the LA4.