Upgraded McCormack DNA-1 or Dennis Had Inspire SEP?

It’s make or break time. I need to make a decision about which direction I need to take regarding my next amplifier. I’m coming from a Jolida Fusion 3502P that I’ve spent the last year searching for the best tube combinations.

Do I keep the McCormack DNA-1 I just bought and save up to have it upgraded, or do I sell it and buy a new Insipre amp from Mr. Had? 

I have a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, Better Cables silver serpent interconnects, high quality copper speaker cables, and I’m feeding them with a Marantz preamp, through which I feed almost all my music via Amazon/Heos.

Discuss. 

Thanks in advance.

jsbw

@ddd1

I vote Inspire.  Mine was wonderful. Should have kept it but changed to less sensitive speakers and sold it to get SS.  Mistake

Live and learn.😊

Charles 

It's probably safe to say more than a few of us have sold amps we later regretted. And, not trying others would be a miss too, so it all works out in the end.  🤜  🤛

I’m pretty much in the same sitch.  I have a dead 0.5 Rev A that I loved and not sure if it’s worth the $$$ doing the upgrades or going with one of the newer GaN amps.  I’m leaning toward going with Steve’s upgrades cause I know it’ll sound awesome.  But here we are. 

@jsbw I do enjoy hearing how different tubes sound but I also think that an amp like the Inspire also allows you to find the tubes that will sound best with your speakers. As it turns out, the KT88 tubes just don’t work well with mine. After trying many different tubes, I think I have settled on two-ish combos. The tall bottle 7n7, RCA metal 6f6, and RCA 5y3 are an amazing all-around combo. Just on the warm side on neutral and I get the best lower mids and accurate bass too. I also love using an RCA 6bx7, GEC e3375, and RCA 5u4g for a more neutral built somehow different kind of lovely (sorry I’m awful at describing sounds). I also have the option of popping in the the new Gold Lion KT66 if I want a more traditional HiFi sound. It’s like having three different systems! With a regular amp you just have to hope it sounds good in your system  With the Inspire KT88 Firebottle you can change the amp until the system sounds the way you like it  

I will be able to sell off a lot of the tubes I’ve tried and decided they weren’t for me. I will be hanging on to a lot of them in anticipation of another amp. I want to add a push pull amp to my stable. 

Mmm. Dennis Had FireBottle. I enjoyed my time with one for over 6 years. I also had an LP-27 preamp and still enjoy his CJ5 pre, even though it's now out of fashion. There's newer from Dennis in the mix.

If your speakers are efficient enough, it's definitely fun to try different tubes in the low power SEP amp. But there's also something to be said for generous headroom for any speaker, let alone the most efficient. Having more than one flavor of amp handy can be very enjoyable.

soix, they might buy your 0.5 at the SMC shop. No promises, but it might be worth a conversation.