Best Two-Way Monitor Speakers under $700 New/Used

So, here goes. I have a good friend who needs audiophile recommendations (you guys) for two-way speaker replacement with a budget not to exceed $700 new (or used) for the pair of speakers. He will place the monitor speakers on stands - color is important. Expresso finish or black color is preferred because it matches his room furniture. With that in mind, let me know what you think. He's running a NAD integrated solid state amp (but I'm anxiously trying to convince him to purchase a tube integrated or separates). He has a Music Hall turntable and Morrow Audio interconnects and speaker cabling. I recommended Totem Mites, Dynaudio Excite 12 (used) and Paradigm. Any other ideas that come to mind? Thanks in advance for your help.
wescoman
@Branon: Those MBS-02 from SVS look nice. Impressive frequency range for a stand mount. Hard to find any good reviews on them, but for $400...why not try them. Easy enough to sell if you aren't a fan. The only caveat is they have a really low sensitivity at 82.5 dB, so make sure you have ample power to push them.

@Wescoman: Someone has a new in box pair of the Quads on Audiogon for $800. Maybe see if they would go to $750. You get $1,700 speakers, with no need to upgrade amps, for a song. Just an FYI.

Enjoy,
Mot
Here's a test report of the SVS MBS-01, which is probably the earlier version of the MBS-02, as the cabinet dimensions are the same. The measurements indicate that the sensitivity is more like 87 dB and that it puts out usable bass to around 40 Hz.