Best Two-Way Monitor Speakers under $700 New/Used

So, here goes. I have a good friend who needs audiophile recommendations (you guys) for two-way speaker replacement with a budget not to exceed $700 new (or used) for the pair of speakers. He will place the monitor speakers on stands - color is important. Expresso finish or black color is preferred because it matches his room furniture. With that in mind, let me know what you think. He's running a NAD integrated solid state amp (but I'm anxiously trying to convince him to purchase a tube integrated or separates). He has a Music Hall turntable and Morrow Audio interconnects and speaker cabling. I recommended Totem Mites, Dynaudio Excite 12 (used) and Paradigm. Any other ideas that come to mind? Thanks in advance for your help.
wescoman
Gvsale: Since the OP mentioned that the user wanted something that would
blend into his decor and color scheme, preferably in espresso or black, and that
he would be placing the speakers on stands, I think that cleared up which use of
"monitor" we were talking about right from the start--a 2-way
stand-mounted speaker--the modern equivalent of a bookshelf speaker. Your
sweeping overview of all uses of monitor regarding playback transducers this
late into the thread is obviously not to clarify anything, but rather to give us a
history lesson and impress us with the circles you ran in 40 years ago.
Johnnyb53: Then I'm sorry for giving the impression, but then why does someone want to dress up the word "bookshelf" with the shiney "monitor" and make it seem that the term "misleading" has no validity? Is marketing the only thing that has value? In other words, any speaker maker now uses the words "monitor" and now that magicaly transforms what could be the most miserable drek into the "cats meow?"
Not considering the color, Tyler reference monitor would be a good choice. Sold used in audiogon at around $700. It is called monitor, but a bit larger than usual bookshelf speakers.
Gvasale: The use of the term, "bookshelf," has fallen out of use
because these smaller speakers are no longer designed or marketed as
bookshelf speakers. I.e., they are not designed or intended to be placed on
bookshelves.

Bookshelf speakers are usually oriented for horizontal placement and have a
sealed or front-ported enclosure. The speakers of the OP have neither
restriction; many stand-mounted speakers now have rear-firing ports to get
more back wall bass reinforcement but they won't work that way if placed on
bookshelves.

Technically one might refer to the speakers under discussion as a
"compact stand-mounted speaker," but that's four words and
seven syllables when in most cases "mini-monitor" or
"monitor" will suffice. There's not a word in the English language
that has only one meaning. Nor do meanings of words remain static through
the decades. Your strict definition of "monitor" was already
weakening by the '70s, four decades ago. The finer meaning of a word is
determined by context, and the OP was plenty clear on this: small, stand-
mounted, must be available in espresso or gloss black and fit with modern
decor. I think we can safely leave 140-lb. battleship grey Altec A-7s out of the
discussion.
After reading your last reply, then doing a quick websarch for "bookshelf" speakers, I got plenty of hits from different brands, and only a few came back with the refined description of "monitor." But that's neither here, nor there. I have been also checking into what are also called "studio monitors" as well and I do see where smaller speakers than the JBL L100/4311 have come into play. Combining those particular trends and the fact that some pretty poor varieties of speakers have been used by recording studios to give passable sound quality for the boombox and step above variety. So we both understand each other, I assume and I'm being careful here. I also tend to think you're not angry trying to express your point of view either. But I'm not sure. I guess one can no longer just accept the request for "the best performing speaker for XX$"