preamplifier after preamplifier?

Hi.

I have a preamplifier and a poweramplifier I am very satisfied with.
The preamplifier is connected to the poweramplifier and the powerampfiler is connected to speakers,
The connection between the pre- and power-amplifiler is also spited to two active subwoofers.

However, I miss the option to control my sub-woofers volume relative to the speaker volume.
My pre don't have any settings for tuning this, just volume +/-

Can I connect a Second pre-amp with independent volume before the sub-woofers? will this cause any damage or problems?
It might be easier to understand this drawing:

Pre #1: pro-ject pre box s2 digital
Pre #2: AIYIMA Tube Pre

flemmingss
Post removed 
Post removed 

I agree with @bkeske 

This is by far the best method to connect subwoofers. The last thing you need is an additional preamp in the chain.

Oz

I know what he’s talking about the subs don’t increase enough to match the mains when you turn it up. Then when you match the mains at a higher volume and then turn it down again the subs is to loud.

That’s the problem with higher sensitivity speakers and most subs.. Most subs sold use high excursion speakers, but low sensitivity. 83-85% is not uncommon. One of the main reasons I build my own or make darn sure they match pretty close.

GR servos are 90+ so are all the subs I use. HO44 10" Daytons 90+ @ 8 ohms. Dayton 225-4 is a 8" mid bass driver, I use in Bass columns are 91%.

My mains are 92-3% planars/ribbons..

No matter what I do the bass is correct. Very low volume or very high volume, 300hz and down matches perfect with 300hz and up. Not always easy to do, without getting up and changing the gain by hand on the subs.

The OP likes two remotes.. LOL

Another option is use a preamp with a separate sub out. Mcintosh and Krell both had that option on their HT/Stereo series. The Subs had a separate +12db gain from the mains and Mcintosh had tone control to boot..

I think a Parasound Zpre3 has separate bass and sub volume control. I have one. :-) Just been a while.

Regards

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I would say the OP needs to clarify what he means by ’active’ subwoofers. Does that mean ’powered’ with their own amps inside, or actually simply ’active’ like any other speaker, or, non-passive.

If they are actually ’powered’. I don’t think it would matter how you hooked them up, as the subs internal amp will take the incoming signal and power that sub. Thus, I cannot see how you could change the volume with a preamp or integrated without a dedicated sub out/LFE volume control option.

If they are truly ’active’ subs, then yea, I guess you should/could be able to control their volume/gain separately with a preamp or integrated depending on out options.

@oldhvymec I just recently decommissioned my ZPre3, as I just ’stepped up’ in the world of preamps. Great little pre though, served me wonderfully. It, the Zpre3, has a single sub out, and also a mono out. I think both are fixed. And, no seperate sub volume control on that pre. I think you have to get up to the New 200 series to get that. It also has both R/L fixed and variable control outs.