Audio Research Ref75 se

Hey there! I’m new here :)

I have Vandersteen speakers model 2Ce.

now I came across a solid deal for an ARC ref75se.

sadly I can’t hear them combined, and a friend of mine told me it might wont have enough power to run my Vandys to their best since they are 86dB.

also if it can be a good combo for the vandy sound wise .

any suggestion about that would help, if not I have an other deal for Asthetix Mimas which I heard and was decent.. but I really like Arc and from what I read 75se is a superb amp, and I can get them for the same price.

thanks for the help!

mike30

Well the problem is that , sadly I can’t listen to all this gear.. but I came down to 3 amps.

I will say that, I want the amp to stay with me for the next years and that I will have room for update the speakers. atm I have to stay with my vandy’s and im quiete fine with it.

:so these are the 3 amps

1. ARC Reference 75SE

2. BRYSTON 4b SST2

3. Pass Labs xa30.5

I can listen only to the bryston probably. might be also listen the pass labs checking it out.

Many Vandersteen dealers carry ARC…. for a reason. The REF75se is a superb amp and should you stay in the Vandy line will take you up to and especially suitable for Quattro ( because of the high pass and built in sub ). Depending on how old your 2’s are ( in continuous production AND improvement since 1977 ), you should consider the latest model, or as advised the more advanced Treo. I run the Treo CT with a 50 wpc tube amp and for a short time ran my 7’s with the 75 wpc ARC - definitely magic midrange. The Treo is an easier load than the II, but the II with acoustic coupler play lower but can reward a SS amp w better lower end control. The REF75 has excellent output transformers so it will also run the II well, within noted volume and room size constraints. You might want to join the Vandy owners forum on the Vandy site. There are many owners there, some w amps mentioned. You got good advice on visiting a dealer and listening to the combo. Rutan in NJ and Randy in Santa Monica both carry ARC and full line Vandy. Alan Jones at HiFi Buys Atlanta same. Think long term and the REF75se can anchor a state of the art system for many, many years.

best to you, enjoy the music and the journey 

Jim

I have heard Vandy 2c's with a Robertson 4010 which was 60w/ch.  Sounded great and plenty loud.

I would also recommend IF you go solid state to listen to low or no global feedback amplifiers like Ayre, Simaudio Moon, Belles… also a typical brand carried by many Vandy dealers for a reason, along w Aesthetix.

Jim