Kef LS50s - great like me but need to come up for air

So over the years I've really enjoyed my primary speaker the Kef LS50s. They work well in my current setup: Schiit Aegir, NAD preamp (class A) in a small room (11'x14').

Maybe I like them so much because they are very much like me: precise, balanced, neutral but not overly. Contrary to many they are more on the warm than bright side. You just need to know how to place them and match them to the right components. Like me :)

However, l've gone through a change. I need to and been told by my wife and doctors that I need to relax some and come up for air. I've been working on this for the past 2 years. Now I've seriously realized my beloved music system has come to the same change point.

Like me and my ears I'd like to find a speaker with the same basic qualities of the LS50s but that can come up for air - call it more relaxed, warm...whatever. Those in the know will know what I mean. I can explain this more if necessary.

My budget is up to 1,500.00...I've online researched Harbeths, Dynaudio Evoke 20, Usher, Spendor but don't really know where to go from here. I've thought about higher sensitivity speakers but most quality speakers are physically too large (maybe).

Any input is appreciated.

lmartinez_02170

For something completely different, keep an eye out for a pair of Ohm Microwalsh or 100 or 1000 speakers. You can always order new but seems Ohm is very backlogged of late so likely a wait there.  Not easy to find used these days but worth the hunt.

FWIW Kef ls50 metas and Ohm Walsh speakers are my two keepers these days. Two totally different but high quality windows into the music. ls50 metas for absolute performance (within their limits of bass extension and absolute SPL) and Ohm for overall musicality and performance. Both will reward power, current and quality amplification.

This is great. There are some really thoughtful options offered here that are really promising. Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute.

Knowing that are multiple viable ways to go I want to share with you what I'm thinking and the best way to do this is too stick with the ferrari / jaguar analogy as this is my compass.

Which takes me first to the bigger box option (Kef r3 or Dynaudio 20,30, or 40). They are in my price range and I can see how a little rolling off the top freq and solid\wider lows would give me a different experience. The soundstage I think might even be somewhat wider. Staying in the Kef line plays it safe as I get a modified ferri (toned down). Motorcyle manufacturers do this all the time. However going to the Dynaudio definitely guarantees a different experience. I move from a ferrari to a jaguar...big move. Would I miss some of the Kef's accuracy and precision? I don't know. Right now I'm leaning towards a Dynaudio.

What I also found is a viable option is a sub! Thanks for all who mentioned this option. Your points are well taken. However I would still be in the Kef line and have a modified ferrari. Again would this be too safe of a move? Rather can I get some of the same characteristics of the Kef ls50s with a Dynaudio or other and also include a sub. With either decision Kef R3 or Dynaudio I'm still going to give a sub a try. Thanks Turnbrown and others for this suggestion.

As far as amps I think I have those covered if I go with the Dynaudio...I have the NAD 326bee (class AB) and a Mcintosh MA6200. 

As far a responding to a couple of other thoughts. Concerning - the Harbeth, I just fear it will be too soft\laid back from what I've read. I'm not a grandfather yet and not ready for the sporty Cadillac. But again who knows?

Concerning the Aegir and Kef Ls50 - I think a lot folks discount Class A because of the heat and low watts. Yes there is some heat but the constant flow of current to these speakers does something special. I tried it and just like others who have experienced the pairing of the Aegir and Kef LS50s it is very, very good. Especially if you have a good preamp.

So, I again I truly appreciative of all the input. I also think my car analogy is helping guide me to this decision. I'm going to try a Dynaudio 20, 30 or 40 and with a sub a little later down the road.

Awesome, let us know how it goes. My current speakers are Dynaudio and the non-fatiguing sound makes them really easy to live with.

Try a used pair of Klipsch Heresy or even Forte- they're relaxed, open, dynamic and super easy to drive. I've owned many Harbeth and some of the others you mention and I own a pair of KEF LS50 wireless too. I agree, all of these are "good" speakers but for a different almost fun sound the Klipsch may do the trick. 

I‘ve got a pair of Dynaudio Special 40s for sale in perfect condition for $2500. I love them, but needed something larger scale for my room.