Wadax Reference Dac and Reference Server--arrived in my room.

i debated with myself whether Audiogon was an appropriate forum to talk about these products. a certain number of Audiogon members might like to hear about them, some others might like to take some target practice that such products exist. others just like to make jokes or spout nonsense. such is the way of the ’Gon. to each their own.

http://www.wadax.eu/reference/

both the Wadax Reference Dac and Wadax Reference server arrived last week, and over the weekend i had 8 visitors through my room hearing these new products compared directly with my outgoing MSB Select 2 dac, and my resident server, the Taiko Extreme.

here is a thread with pictures of the Wadax Ref dac and Ref server in my room. scroll down for more pictures.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/wadax-reference-dac-and-server-arrive.34173/#post-771357

as a result of my listening this weekend, i have purchased the Wadax Reference dac, and am in the process of comparing the Wadax Reference server to my Taiko Extreme server to determine which one will remain. the MSB Select 2 is outbound on it’s way to a new owner.

the Wadax combo is the best sounding digital music reproduction i have heard, and not by a little bit. they cross thresholds of sounding analog and like good vinyl in ways i’ve never heard before. i am stunned at how digital in my room sounds, how great redbook files i’ve heard for 30 years have now come alive.

happy to answer any questions, or maybe observe a little chaos. let the fun begin.

mikelavigne

What's best is what is best Mike. You have proved over the years your commitment to just that. I congratulate you for your experimentation, willingness to share your listening environment with others and your vast audio knowledge too. It is fun to see how good a top notch system can be. I wish you where around when I was in the business ... ;-)

Why would anyone be flakked about the price of "cost no object" gear?

Jealousy or ignorance?  Thanks for all you do Mike.

Thank you for taking the time to post here. I’m new to this hobby and I really enjoy learning about new technologies in music reproduction. I’m just getting into streaming and this is all incredibly fascinating. 

thank you for all the positive comments.

@dill

i have been seriously into hifi since 1994 when my kids were gone from home. back in the 60’s and 70’s i had systems in High school and college and when i was first married. built my current room in 2004. so i have been around awhile. my system here on Audiogon was started in 2004.

@femoore12

streaming is the window to the new/old/different musical world. it’s a big part of my listening. it removes the limits on what is possible to do. and the quality can be amazing. even at modest levels.

my current system description and pictures have not been updated to show the Wadax. once i make my server decision i will try to get that done as soon as i can.

It is good to see this cutting edge technology, over time it will wind it's way into more affordable equipment for us mere mortals.

I also experience a more analog like performance with each improvement in my much more modest digital setup. A more relaxing, natural, enveloping overarching sound quality, any symptoms of digititus long banished.

MIke, do you still play cds over transport, and if so how does it compare to streams in your setup?

I'm continually amazed by all the information contained within relatively lowly 16/44. I'm always expecting to hit a wall with resolving capabilities, it appears I still have a long way to go. Perfect sound forever used to be a joke, maybe not so much a joke anymore.