Primaluna?

I’m thinking about giving a full tube setup a go and Primaluna in particular.  Looking to hear people’s experiences with Primaluna in general. My main draw to them outside of tubes is there auto bias and protective features.  Wondering if people generally replace a single bad tube or if people are replacing all tubes of that type when there’s a failure.  Also would be interested if there were any other companies with at least a similar protective feature. The auto bias sounds great but the protective features are a bigger deal to me.  

brylandgoodman

Thanks for all the feedback from everybody.  I have to sell some gear first, but will be trying a Primaluna when that’s worked out. Curious peoples take on an integrated vs going seperates.  Looking for specifics far as where the differences are.  I know seperates give extra flexibility and potentially lower noise, but what else?  Also curious what might be the difference from using an integrated or using a power amp with a dac that has volume control?  Again thanks for all the replies.  

I apologize to the group for going overboard on stuff I should never have talked about.  I need to meet with my accountant about the joys of 50 states of tax nexus and I am trying to avoid anything that bores me.

I will answer this question only from my perspective and PrimaLuna.  If you have a budget of $20k for amp and speakers, that's $5595 for an EVO 400 Integrated and $14,405 for speakers.  In some cases an EVO300 is just as good, so if you got that one add $900 to your speaker budget.  

If you bought an EVO400 preamp ($5295) and power amp ($5295)  that would leave you $9410 for speakers.

Assuming that's your budget I might suggest integrated and better speakers.  That extra $5k can take you a long way, and speakers are hugely important. 

If you are BUILDING, then it may different:  Yes, having a preamp is better, and our amps are not the exact same as the integrated amp because they have a different design and different transformers.  The integrated amps have a 4ohm tap and an 8ohm tap.  

The power amps have a 4, 8, and 16ohm tap to more closely match a wider array of speakers, and that's important. 

The cool thing is if you add another power amp something happens:  You have dual-ouput transformers, one for positive and one for negative side of the signal.  This is not common because it can cause problems.  Our tube engineer Marcel Croese created countermeasures that allows it and increases sound quality. 

It's incredible when you monoblock any PrimaLuna.  It's quieter. Output impedance drops, and that means better bass.  Instead of the speaker taps being 4, 8, and 16ohm they are 2, 4, and 8ohms.  Magnepan and Martinlogan owners love it. It's the reason that Martinlogan has used PrimaLuna at shows in the past.  

But in my opinion sometimes people are over-amped and under-speakered.  

Post removed 

I haven't read the whole thread, neither the one that was recently deleted. But you can see that Kevn has a lifetime interest in the tube audio hobby. If you live in SoCal, you owe it to yourself to go visit and hear for yourself; I'd recommend a call to let him know you are coming. If you don't live near enough, give him a call. You can get his take on what's going on and then be in a better position to make a purchase.

I have never bought anything from Kevin, but I've been in his store years ago. It is a neat place, especially seeing his vintage tube gear; it is one way to show off his "love" as he says for the hobby.

Best of luck OP.