China built tube amps

Well I had an interesting conversation today. I contacted a large dealer and let him know I would like to buy a certain integrated tube amplifier that is made in China. I was told he wouldn't sell me one. He said they are all junk.  Prima Luna, Line Magnetic, Cayin, etc, etc, he said forget it. If you want a tube amplifier buy an American or European built unit that can be serviced.

So, I am new to valve amplifiers and I want to try one to understand what they're all about and sort of get my feet wet with tube rolling etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first which is why I was looking at Chinese built integrateds. So my question is, without getting into any particular brand other than what I have already mentioned, what is your experience with Chinese built tube amps? As a whole are they reliable? Am I wasting my money if I buy one according to this dealer? I have to admit I was rather taken aback by how adamant he was. Thoughts anyone?

128x128falconquest

All dealers carry amps made in china.

Rotel

Line Magnetic

PrimaLuna

NAD

On and on.

Most dealers don’t carry the Chinese amps. They can actually be hard to fine other than direct shipped from China.

So many components are made in China that even if its assembled somewhere else, where is it really “made”?  My Kinki Studio proudly displays its “we come from china” label.  It is the best built amp I have owned.  Just beautiful build quality.

Biggest thing to understand is that Tube Amps are an investment. Buying a tube amp from China is like buying a Korean make automobile. They just don’t make an engine that will last. Pay a little more and have something you won’t need to get fixed over the time you are wanting to enjoy it. 

I saw Steve Gutenberg’s review of the Boyuurange A50 Mk3 300B tube integrated when he originally published it, and I ordered it from Amazon. It was the bargain of the year! But for someone trying it out, I agree with the comment above regarding ordering from Amazon so you can return it. But that comment about Chinese gear is ridiculous. I own some good gear. Some of it happens to come from Chinese or Singapore companies who build the gear in China. I hate to break it to you, but a lot of good gear, audio and otherwise is built in China and Taiwan. 

The dealer you contacted is trying to take advantage of your naivete. Best to disregard and forget what he said. I've had 2 China-built tube amps (one was a Cayin), I didn't find any fault with regard to the build and sound quality. Just make sure to always use good quality tubes from a reputable seller, the only issue I ever encountered with the Cayin was that I bought a faulty set of power tubes, the tube pins were filthy, and 2 of the tubes sparked and red plated. I had to have the amp serviced and they replaced a few resistors but after that, it was smooth sailing.