A new way of adjusting anti skate!

I was looking at the Wallyskater, a $250 or so contraption used to set anti skate. https://www.wallyanalog.com/wallyskater  It is reputedly the most accurate way to set anti skate. Talking about fiddly. 

The appropriate figure is 9 to 11 percent of VTF. So if you are tracking at 2 grams you want 0.2 grams of anti skate.
My Charisma tracks at 2.4 grams so I should set the anti skate for 0.24 grams..................................Bright light!.
I readjusted the Syrinx PU3 to zero so that it was floating horizontally. I set up a digital VTF gauge on it's side at the edge of the platter so that the finger lift would be in the cross hairs, activated the anti skate and was easily able to adjust it to 0.24 grams. I started at 0.18 grams and just added a little more. Whatever you measure the anti skate from it has to be at the same radius as the stylus. If you do not have a finger lift at the right location you can tack a toothpick to the head shell and measure from that. As long as you have the whole affair balanced at zero you will be fine. Added cost $0.00 as long as you have a digital VTF gauge. 

I would not buy stock in Wallyskater.
128x128mijostyn

Agree, centripetal force, in the Newtonian sense, is not the issue.  I am aware that the "real Wally" passed away a few years ago. I just figured "wally" was a reasonable way of indicating that I was responding to your post.

Hi Wally, i can measure with Adjust+ the harmonic distortion with a 1kHz tone (0dB - 11,3cm/s) Does it make sense to adjust antiskating for identical distortion on both sides? Does 11,3cm/s this corresponds to normal music level?

I am bewildered. Several points made defy logic.

Antiskating has nothing to do with offset angle? I suppose you could say that the skating force is due to proper tonearm geometry of which offset angle is one factor.

A straight arm with no overhang has little skating when it is tangent to the groove.

A 12" arm with a smallish offset has a lesser amount of skating than a 9" arm with more offset. 

The water skier outside the wake has created an offset angle. If Wally wants to look at it from a different angle, it is a free country, but looking at it as a function of offset angle is perfectly appropriate.

Poorly set antiskating does not affect the volume of either channel and does not move the center image. It effects the groove velocity at which the cartridge will start miss tracking one channel or the other. Miss tracking causes distortion, very annoying distortion.

Boy, is it cold outside! Don't forget your gloves and hat!

My buddy in Burlington VT told me what you guys are expecting today. Wind chill of -25 degrees. I don’t own a coat for that. I am vacationing, if you can call it a vacation when you are already retired, at our house on the island of Vieques off the coast of Puerto Rico. The daily high temperature is about 85 and the low temperature is about 72. The beaches are beautiful and mostly empty.

An underhung tonearm all of which have zero headshell offset will have zero antiskate when stylus/cantilever are tangent to the groove or perpendicular to the LP radius in Wally terms. As for the effect or lack thereof of headshell offset angle in an overhung tonearm, I just took Wally’s conclusion at face value, that the demonstration applies for a spherical stylus on a grooveless vinyl surface. For me, that is just another reason not to set anti-skate using a flat vinyl surface with no grooves.

@lewm , I would say I am jealous but I just bought a new set of ski boots and skis. In this cold weather the ski areas can make snow like crazy. One good storm and we are all set. I have to justify the expense:) 

Do you have another system in your tropical abode?