''Óriginal parts'', ''identity '' and ''retip'' conundrum

The ''identity enigma'' is easy to explain with ''ownership''. Not everyone is familiar with logic or philosophy but everyone owns something or other.

Ownership assume ''one to one relation'' between an person (legal

bodies included) and one object of ownership. Think of question how

you can prove to own some object. You can also think about question

how to prove to be owner of, say an part of your stolen car.

What the ''force'' of the expression ''original'' is , is an enigma.

However Americans are typical example of   people who are very

fond of ''original parts'' and willing to pay huge amount of money

for the ''precious'' (grin). By the so called ''retips'' the assumption

is also ''original'' versus ''not original parts''. This means that 

every manufacturer as well ''retiper'' uses his own styli and or

cantilevers. The fact however is that they all buy those ''parts''

by either by Namiki or Ogura. So, logicaly speaking, the origin

of those ''parts'' are either Namiki or Ogura. Is gluing an cantilever/

stylus combo in the ''joint pipe'' rocket science?

128x128nandric

Dear Nandric, if only it were true that forums like this have the task of providing objective information. It’s all subjective opinions and beliefs, like everywhere else in social media. The folks with real knowledge have mostly left the ‘building’ amidst all the nonsense, a few exceptions notwithstanding. Too many egos making too much noise. Sad but true.

Your assumption that there are only a few jewel companies providing styli is most likely correct. We tend to forget how small our little universe really is, so it’s not a market that could sustain many more competitors. Yet it’s hard to imagine that Ogura and Namiki are the only ones, even with Gyger out of the picture as some have suggested. As you asked elsewhere, who would be making those Replicant 100 or vdHul styli now?

But even this assumption doesn’t tell us very much. For example, the Ogura PA tip comes in different shapes. Apart from the retipped KC 200 I own originals of Mark Levinson MLC-1 and Red Rose Petal (both versions of Miyabi Standard) and Miyabi MCA, all of which supposedly adopted the same Ogura tip. Yet none of these have the exact same shape. I have it on good authority that Ogura used no less than a dozen different shapes, which apparently were all marketed as PA. It seems Takeda san was prone to experimentation in search of the perfect sound and used several of these shapes. So in this case there were several ‘original parts’ and ‘identities’. So what?

As a music listener I don’t really care as long as it sounds good. I’m certainly no expert but I have no reason to believe there is any special magic involved in (re)building a cartridge, only human creativity, experience and craftsmanship. For the most part(s) the sonic result will depend on the designer’s or (re)builder’s level of expertise. If you find such a person, you can pretty much depend that they’ll do a good job in respecting and perhaps even improving the cartridge’s sonic performance. Exchanging notes on the work of these experts is probably more useful than establishing how many sources they can turn to for parts.

So let’s for a moment return to the example of the Kiseki. It’s evident that vdHul did a wonderful job with my sample, but that was done many years ago. When it requires the inevitable retip would I send it to the newly established Kiseki brand for reasons of so called ‘originality’? No way! These new Kiseki’s are most likely not designed and built by the same person who did the old ones and based on the reported quality control issues they would probably ruin it.

@nandric
elegant intervention; we may communicate with smoke messages for future topics to limit understanding to Cheyenne and Navajo only.

Cir di capimi: no tu puedis cjacarà come che ti par se no tu puedis la a cagà! and now translate the sentence into italics for me.

edgewear, Deed you ever try to sell an retiped cart? As you state 

you are very satisfy with retips done by Van den Hul. Van den Hul

was obviously proud of his work and made his inscription on the

cover plate. This may be seen as act of courage (aka nothing to

hide). But the owners of his carts with his retips can't sell them

because ''retips'' are  considered to be inferior in comparison

with ''rebuild'' or ''refreshed kind'' with the argument of ''original''

versus ''not original'' styli. That is to say that manufacturer use their

own unique styli. This however is an myth. Manufacturer buy their

styli as do retipers by the same producer. Curiously you are

contradicting  your own ''pro retip'' position by suggesting more

shapes than can be proven. On those shapes patents are claimed

as Van den Hul and Gyger demonstrate. Besides ''original parts''

imply their identification which is connected with identity . Even for

logician an difficult ''subject''.

I try to reduce complexity of identity to ownership relation because

everyone knows what ownership means as well how one can prove

to own something. This means proving one to one identity between

owner and object of ownership. Both must have their own identity.

''Subjective valuation''?  The old Roman already stated ; de gustibus

non disputantum est. 

Besides what sense would asked advises have?  

best-grove, English grammar does not specify the connective ''IS"

between Subject and Predicate in an sentence

But logic does:

1, Substitution of an object under one notion (nandric is human)

2. Inclusion relation between two classes or sets the smaller under

bigger. Horses are 4 legs animals. Americans are part of the

world  population.

3, Identity relation : a=b; 2+2 = 4

4  exsitence (being) ''God is''

Which ''IS'' do you have in mind?