Sound System on $10K Budget

All, sorry if this has been asked a million times before. I am looking to build a home audio system from scratch and want to keep it under $10K. I have no idea where to start, and scrolling through this forum has just made me more overwhelmed. For context, I have a headphone setup (Meze Empyrean and HD 800S and a Vioelectric V280/1). Unfortunately, I haven't used the system in over a year--I find it too difficult given all the wires, turning my desktop on, etc. As such, I am looking to put in a home audio system that I can more casually listen to as I work, cook, etc.

The room I am putting the system in is 34 x 20 with 12 foot ceilings. I am looking for a system that is just all around good (jack of all trades master of none) given the budget. I will not be doing any room treatments, etc (not worth the marginal benefit and I am not looking for perfection here). The system will be used daily for TV and for music. As far as genres, I really like everything, but skew towards alternative/indie/pop/rock. I am guessing I will want a sub, but I have no idea and am flexible. I was thinking two loudspeakers, but I am flexible.

FWIW, I don't really believe in expensive cables and think it is a waste of the budget at this price point, but I am open to other opinions. I am open to buying used equipment (I actually prefer used equipment--I believe quality audio equipment should last forever). Overall goal is simplicity + all around good. 

tas2200

@buddyboy1 +1

Great suggestions. The only change I’d suggest is that instead of Ares, up the budget a little and go for Denafrips Pontus 2. Otherwise, this is a system I won’t mind owning myself. 

I’d get a used active ATCSCM 40 set of speakers and add a DAC/preamp combo.

This is one of the best integrated amps you can buy even at many times the MSRP price of $9500.

Krell K-300i Integrated Stereo Amplifier For Sale - US Audio Mart

I used to own the Meze Empy with Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. I thought it was great. However, after I had the RAAL SR1a for a few months I realized I was never going to listen to the Meze again. I sold the Meze and the HPA4.

The KRELL integrated is, in my opinion, the very best of the best for the RAAL SR1a headphones. I have tried a lot of 2 channel amps and the dedicated RAAL headphone amp. In fact, I bought the KRELL Duo 175XD last month specifically for the RAAL SR1a in my office. This was based solely on how good the SR1a was on the K-300i.

The way it would work is that RAAL will provide an AMP INTERFACE BOX with the headphones. You can use a 2-channel amp to drive the headphones and this box has a switch to send the output of the integrated to the 2-channel speakers. You would need 2 sets of speaker cables to do this. The supplied speaker cables by RAAL are not good. I have not used the switch to change from the headphones to the speakers. I have a more elaborate setup. However, the only potential negative would be the extra path to the speakers. The headphone path has to exist anyways.

The KRELL integrated will have built-in streaming, ROON READY, DAC, HDMI for TV and Bluray. The sound is very smooth, good detail, and very relaxing and non-fatiguing. Normally not my kind of sound but I am now hooked on it. 

You would just need an Ethernet wire from your network to hookup to the KRELL. Hopefully a ROON account and you are ready to go. If you do not have Ethernet nearby (I do not in my setup) you can use a PowerLine extension to your home network to work via the electricity outlets in the room. This is how I have setup my KRELL. Though I am somewhat technical and know how to fix these things if the network ever has a hiccup.  It usually happens when things are moved around or unplugged.

Thanks for the help again everyone! After a month of research, I decided to go for a new pair of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova IIIs and Hegel H390. Got a bit carried away with the budget, but the speakers are gorgeous and will be in my living room for a few years. I have never heard the speakers or the amp before, so I am excited to put the system together this weekend. Fingers crossed they’re a match. Might switch to a MA352 amp or add that in down the road. 

What a great room you have... enjoy the journey. Don't be afraid of used equipment... you'll save a lot on the budget.

As for type... I'm partial to..

Vandersteen 3aSig. $2k used

Theta Dreadnaught 1 or 2 with 4 amps... $2k used

Preamp... Audio Research, VTL, Pass... you can pick up a great sounding preamp for $3k > $5k

Source... ??? your choice. Streaming.. CD... Vinyl so many choices from $1k to ???

Cables... up to you. I would start with used AQ or your favorite brand $1k for entire system. They can make a difference... this is only an opinion.