Sound System on $10K Budget

All, sorry if this has been asked a million times before. I am looking to build a home audio system from scratch and want to keep it under $10K. I have no idea where to start, and scrolling through this forum has just made me more overwhelmed. For context, I have a headphone setup (Meze Empyrean and HD 800S and a Vioelectric V280/1). Unfortunately, I haven't used the system in over a year--I find it too difficult given all the wires, turning my desktop on, etc. As such, I am looking to put in a home audio system that I can more casually listen to as I work, cook, etc.

The room I am putting the system in is 34 x 20 with 12 foot ceilings. I am looking for a system that is just all around good (jack of all trades master of none) given the budget. I will not be doing any room treatments, etc (not worth the marginal benefit and I am not looking for perfection here). The system will be used daily for TV and for music. As far as genres, I really like everything, but skew towards alternative/indie/pop/rock. I am guessing I will want a sub, but I have no idea and am flexible. I was thinking two loudspeakers, but I am flexible.

FWIW, I don't really believe in expensive cables and think it is a waste of the budget at this price point, but I am open to other opinions. I am open to buying used equipment (I actually prefer used equipment--I believe quality audio equipment should last forever). Overall goal is simplicity + all around good. 

tas2200

Showing 4 responses by tas2200

Thank you so much for the responses everyone! I will have to look into loudspeakers and report back. 

I don’t have a receiver/CD player, but just looking for something simple I can plug my phone into. Trying to make the system as easy to use and setup as possible, even if that entails sacrificing sound quality. I don’t want another repeat of my headphones where I never end up using them because it’s too difficult. 

Maybe I’ll consider dropping the budget if it’s not worth it. However, the system is something I will probably owe for a bit of time, so don’t mind spending a bit more upfront. 

I like used equipment because I think it offers the best value, but I am open to demo equipment and having a relationship with a dealer will probably be helpful for a novice like me. 

Any dealer recommendations in the Boston / New England area? Ideally New Hampshire given the sales tax. 

Thank you everyone for all the help here! Much appreciated. There are so many factors to consider when putting a system together, so every post has been enlightening. Putting together a headphone setup is a walk in the park compared to this. 
I will keep looking up loudspeakers as a starting point, and will come back with updates.

Thank you so much for the help here everyone!

As an update, I am currently leaning towards Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs (possibly the Nova version). Unfortunately, the speakers blow through most of the budget, but they look and sounds beautiful, so I think its worth it.

Now, I am looking into what integrated amp to go with. Ideally one that has a headphone output so I can sell my headphone amp + dac, which gets almost no use.

Thanks for the help again everyone! After a month of research, I decided to go for a new pair of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova IIIs and Hegel H390. Got a bit carried away with the budget, but the speakers are gorgeous and will be in my living room for a few years. I have never heard the speakers or the amp before, so I am excited to put the system together this weekend. Fingers crossed they’re a match. Might switch to a MA352 amp or add that in down the road.