Magnepan Service HORRIBLE???

I am now into my 5th week waiting for Magnepan to evaluate shipping damage to a pair of MG 3.7's. My wife and I paid Craters and Freighters to build a custom wood crate for them so they would not be damaged further by the trip from Richmond to Minnesota.

I know everyone will say they are a small company and I need to be patient but this is ridiculous to my mind. I have called 5-6 times and the seller has also called. The last time I called Shelia acted like she had never spoken to me before despite the previous phone conversations.

I know the MG 3.7's are supposed to be sensational speakers and I bought my first pair of Magnepans in 1975 but I am seriously considering flipping these if Magnepan ever inspects and repairs them. The aggravation simply is not worth it to me.

A month and I can not even get anyone at Magnepan to open the crate, inspect them, and give me a damage estimate to provide to FedEx who is ready to pay the claim. Unfortunately, they can't pay until Magnepan provides an estimate of the damage and then I have to wait for the actual repair.

I never thought I would feel this way about Magnepan but this current situation has changed my mind to a huge extent. This is just ridiculous the way I see it and I can see no good excuse for it.
etmerritt33
Hi Whart,

No, not my 1-D's, which sold earlier. Strange story, which I won't go into here since I don't want to hijack the thread.

I've been having an interesting conversation with the owner of the 1-D's that are up now. Well, interesting if you're a Tympani owner, anyway. :-)
The actual event that resulted in damage to the speakers, whatever was spent on packing, and the drought that may not have had much impact on Minnesota are all irrelevant to this discussion...HOW Magnapan handled this situation is the only real issue, and the excuses and explanations to justify that are seriously lacking the professionalism that one expects and deserves from a first rate company.
Wolf,
Yes, and while we have no reason to question the details supplied, they have been supplied by 1 side who has an emotional investment in the situation. Even though is has a question mark after "HORRIBLE " perhaps asking about others experiences or something similar would have been a better approach versus the one used, but hey that is just my preference in handling such situations and not to simply vent. Again my interpretation of "tone", yours and others view may differ from mine.

Magnepan may have indeed totally dropped the ball on this one and if so needs to evaluate how to not let it happen again.

So many of us have had nothing but positive experiences dealing with the company, perhaps we are viewing this as a rare exception although that does not help the original poster.

One last comment would be to say that in my mind the "fault" would be in Magnepan's communication, not the turn around time. Remember this was a used pair of Maggie's, damaged by someone else and we do not know the service back-up at he time and as others have said, when all is said a done, a small company.
As stated in a previous post of mine my 3.7s took longer to get new then the time to get his repaired and the 20.7 back log is even longer
Eight weeks, they will try to ship them this week but are really busy.  First and last pair of Magnepan speakers!