Magnepan Service HORRIBLE???

I am now into my 5th week waiting for Magnepan to evaluate shipping damage to a pair of MG 3.7's. My wife and I paid Craters and Freighters to build a custom wood crate for them so they would not be damaged further by the trip from Richmond to Minnesota.

I know everyone will say they are a small company and I need to be patient but this is ridiculous to my mind. I have called 5-6 times and the seller has also called. The last time I called Shelia acted like she had never spoken to me before despite the previous phone conversations.

I know the MG 3.7's are supposed to be sensational speakers and I bought my first pair of Magnepans in 1975 but I am seriously considering flipping these if Magnepan ever inspects and repairs them. The aggravation simply is not worth it to me.

A month and I can not even get anyone at Magnepan to open the crate, inspect them, and give me a damage estimate to provide to FedEx who is ready to pay the claim. Unfortunately, they can't pay until Magnepan provides an estimate of the damage and then I have to wait for the actual repair.

I never thought I would feel this way about Magnepan but this current situation has changed my mind to a huge extent. This is just ridiculous the way I see it and I can see no good excuse for it.
etmerritt33
I can understand your frustration but do be aware that this is very much an exception to experiences most of us have had with Magnepan. Been a Maggie owner for 25+ years and when I sent my MGIIIas in for svc and they were damaged in shipping and Magnepan simply rebuilt and re-paneled both speakers on their dime.
Also it is a small company and please realize that some us us have waited 1-2 months to get our 3.7s new and the back order for my 20.7s in more like 4+ months so it is somewhat understandable this is not high on their priority list given new sales build back log.
Not saying it is right just understandable. BTW I have always found everyone I have talked to at Magnepan to be polite and helpful. I know that doesnt make it any better for you though!
Very informative post by Josh. (Josh, btw, are those your refurbished Tympani that are for sale, to be delivered from Magnapan on completion?)
I just saw a pair of 3.7s on Audiogon that are in MN for svc and wondering if this is the same pair and something was worked out? Sure looks that way.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/magnepan-mg-3-7

If so perhaps perception might have changed considering the ad
I'm confused...partial blame is directed towards Magnepan for not providing wooden crates for new products...yet the OP bought used...had them crated...and they STILL were damaged...how is that Magnepans fault....this shouldn't be a blame issue...things happen
Hi Whart,

No, not my 1-D's, which sold earlier. Strange story, which I won't go into here since I don't want to hijack the thread.

I've been having an interesting conversation with the owner of the 1-D's that are up now. Well, interesting if you're a Tympani owner, anyway. :-)