Abyss ? Luxman 550aii ?

I'm looking at buying used 1266 Phi TC for around $3,500USD.  I don't have experience with top end headphones and am currently listening to Sennheiser hd 650's or sony MDR-Z7M2's powered by a Luxman 550Aii int. amp headphone jack.

Does anyone have experience buying abyss used?  Does abyss provide good service or repair?  Does anyone have experience with the Luxman 550aii compared to dedicated headphone amps?  How about the Luxman paired with the 1266TC?

Any suggestions, comments, or opinions will be appreciated.

verona

Most everybody seems to agree the 1266 is great, although I did see a review that measured higher than normal levels of distortion and photos of wrinkled drivers.  That's why I asked about buying used.

I still really don't understand why the 550aii headphone jack wouldn't be a decent source as it uses the exact same circuit that goes to the speaker terminals with the addition of one resistor.  I'd like to know what the wattage output is, it does seem powerful.   The P-750u must be superior with its 3 and 4 pin xlr's and designed for lower power output and I would love to own one but I can't justify as my 550aii is no longer in my main system and currenty only used for headphones.  That's an interesting idea to hook the 1266 to the speaker terminals but as you cautioned I would be afraid I would blow the F... out of the 1266 drivers accidentally.

The seller of the used 1266phi TC is seeming a bit slippery so this aquisition may happen later than sooner but thanks for the input.

@jim204 I also have the Luxman p 750u.

You can see it in my system pics.

Enjoy your system!

Thank you @devilboy your system looks great, I hope you are getting a lot of joy from yours I know I do from mine.

$3500 for a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s seems fishy to me as they typically sell for more than that. I would be careful. All that said they truly are beautiful sounding headphones.

He wanted $5000.00 Aussie $ which is just about exactly $3,500 USD.  They are/were 2.5 yrs old. I checked with Abyss and Abyss informed me that they were registered to him with the 3yr warranty that could be transfered to a new owner for the remaining 6 months. I was going to pick up in person but I declined and the listing was removed as there were no buyers.

What I would really like to know is how the luxman 550aii headphone amp jack compares to dedicated headphone amps?  Does anyone have actual comparative experience instead of speculation that 550aii head amp jack is inferior?