Abyss ? Luxman 550aii ?

I'm looking at buying used 1266 Phi TC for around $3,500USD.  I don't have experience with top end headphones and am currently listening to Sennheiser hd 650's or sony MDR-Z7M2's powered by a Luxman 550Aii int. amp headphone jack.

Does anyone have experience buying abyss used?  Does abyss provide good service or repair?  Does anyone have experience with the Luxman 550aii compared to dedicated headphone amps?  How about the Luxman paired with the 1266TC?

Any suggestions, comments, or opinions will be appreciated.

verona

Showing 2 responses by jim204

When you buy a pair of what I consider to be one of the best headphones in existence I can only say please don’t drive them with a normal amp no matter how good as the headphone jack on them is always an afterthought. Luxman make a superb range of dedicated headphone amps and I would thoroughly recommend one of them. I have the Luxman P-750u which is one of the best headamps made and although pricey it will outlast you and give many many years of trouble free service. I use mine to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD800 phones and these phones are a notoriously difficult load and my headamp makes it a walk in the park.. I did have the pleasure of having a pair of 1266 Phi for a weekend and they were wonderful to listen to but at the time I couldn’t afford them but I will say that my amp made them sound wonderful. They were dynamic and superbly detailed and I was so sad to hand them back. If you can afford a Luxman amp for them you will I am sure have a supreme setup.

Thank you @devilboy your system looks great, I hope you are getting a lot of joy from yours I know I do from mine.