Schiit Aegir pre-amp recommendation

I have a newly acquired Aegir and currently matched to Kef Ls50s with a NAD 326BEE as the preamp.

Does anyone have any experience with a non-Schiit preamp that matches well with the Aegir?

My thoughts: I've had a lot amps in my day and I think the Aegir is pretty darn good for what it is especially if matched with a class A pre (like the 326bee). I like it's small form factor and for a small room with the KEF LS50s it is pretty satisfying. So I liked to match it with a high quality preamp with remote and phono pre. Hopefully it's small form also but this along with the phono pre are not deal breakers.

I was thinking LTA MZ2. I like it's small form and that it will bring in a little tube softness.

Any thoughts hopefully someone with experience

lmartinez_02170

Thanks varchard. Do you use the onboard DAC? If so, how does it sound?

I was looking for a small form because I don't want a lot of bulky equipment given my space. If I could replace my NAD326Bee (used as pre) and (NAD M51) dac, I might give it a look.

Thanks

Lee

This is just a perspective comment. I would always concentrate on what preamp I want in my system foremost. It is the primary driver of the character of the system… the centerpiece. Then I would want to get a complementary amp. Given you have amps you already want to use, your question makes sense. I guess, I would still look for the very best preamp you can possibly afford, one that reflects your tastes in sound. Then, if for some reason your amps are not complementary, swap them out.

For most of us, pursuing high end sound was not something we could do in one jump, but something to work at for decades… so each purchase ultimately was temporary… maybe for a decade at a time, but temporary. The trick is to reach a really good plateau where all equipment is complementary and synergistic and enjoy it for a good long while. So, sometimes you might think you just about got it… then the new piece throws something out of wack and another adjustment is necessary.

So, I guess my recommendation is to think about a preamp independent of your amp. Get the very best you can, then see where you are.

@lmartinez_02170 

Yes, I use the DAC from the C2500.  I AB tested this DAC vs the CXNV2 and it was a very big improvement over the CXN.  I still use the CXN but not it's internal DAC.  I really love the C2500.  It was such an improvement even my Amazon echo listening wife declared it sounded amazing and demos it to her friends ;). I purchased it used mid 2021 and I couldn't be happier with the value/$ I received.

Thanks varchard this is good information about the DAC. Also ghdprentice I appreciate your guidance about pre-amps. It makes sense to me...if your a separates guy :). In the past many would say the speakers are the most important item to base your system on but I got what your saying.

My requirements remain the same and I do think it's challenging.

My current setup is Schiit Aegir, Kef LS50s with NAD preamp (class A) is very good in a small room (11x14).  Also while I'm flexible in my setup, I don't typically go for large components. The preamp I'm looking for is most likely class a, small form with a phono pre. My budget which I didn't state before is about 2k at most. The most intriguing preamp, I've been able to find so far is the LTA MZ2. 

The topping pre90 is just wrong for me, so many balanced inputs...really not necessary in my opinion.

The parasound doesn't measure well

The benchmark is over my budget.

The MAC C2500 is a possibility as a used buy because I do use a dac (so, it's 3 components). Although I would be moving away from small separates.

The LTA MZ2 just about fits the bill - small form factor, class a, remote but no phono pre and affordable 1300.00 in its base form. It's also gotten pretty good reviews. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on it.

Any other thoughts? And thanks to everyone who has commented.

Have you considered Schiit's Saga+ (or Saga S) remote-controlled preamp and new Mani 2 phono preamp ?