Need new headphone setup.

I have a speaker oriented system that is very satisfying to me. But because of a need to maintain domestic tranquility I’m looking to go to a less noisy alternative: i..e. headphones.
I want to spend a total of about $1000. So, nothing too fancy. Not the equivalent of my much more expensive speaker system.
What do I need to assemble a headphone system independent of my regular system which is accessible from my listening chair and side table?
I plan on solely streaming. My present system contains a WiFi streamer.
Can that be incorporated, or do I need a new streamer?
I understand that I need a headphone preamp along with the cans.
I know my budget is not too high, but can I get something relatively decent at it?

Currently, I listen though cheap ear buds and stream through an iPad.

128x128rvpiano

I have a good headphone amp in my DAC/preamp, but for portable use I highly recommend my alternate setup, which I run from my phone or laptop. It sounds excellent.

A good set of budget reference phones like my Sennheiser 600 or 650 (Massdrop, now called Drop, does runs of these at a great price). $330 on Amazon Amazon / 650

and...

Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC/amp

review

Building a HeadFi system is like building a mini “big rig” so the same principles apply.  That said, what sound characteristics are most important to you?  This will help narrow down your choices for headphones, then you can go from there.  But, to answer your question — yes, you can build a surprisingly good headphone setup for $1000 or even less, and I think you’ll be surprised how good it sounds assuming you take the time/effort to choose the right gear.  If you share more about what sound characteristics you’re looking for you’ll get some good recommendations here.  FWIW. 

I listen 90% of the time to classical music, the other !0% Jazz and other acoustic formats.
I would like to have full bodied sound with good imaging.
With the suggestions so far, it looks like It’s not practical to go for a whole second mini system with cans, DAC and separate streamer.

I’m ready to order something soon, but I’m not sure what headphones are best for me in my budget.

‘Besides Grado and Sennheiser, any other quality brands should I consider?