Do you use a preamp in your HT system to improve sound?

what preamp do u use in your ht system and is it helping ht SQ?

I like idea of enhancing ht sound with a preamp.  Even the hi end processors are limited in their SQ.

i use a low end tube preamp and like its influence on hq sound.  I am considering an upgraded preamp.

emergingsoul

Millercarbon,

i need to go both ways, 2 ch and multi. 

need center for voices when doing ht.  A good thing. Mains still do really well.  Any chance u could be more open?  

I use 2 preamps w/out HT pass through. W/my Bryston 3B Cubed I hook up my balanced connections from my amp to my Krell Showcase processor and w/the single ended connections I power my Luxman CL 38U SE tube preamp. All I do is flip the balanced and unbalanced switch on the amp.  

emergingsoul, much of HT is two channel, so by using the Ayre preamp I get the benefit of its superb sound. I use the Bryston SP3 more as an HDMI receptacle than surround processor -- I often set it to stereo for cable. I use KEF Reference 1s for front LR, KEF Reference 204/2C center, and LS50s for side and rear surrounds. Sources for HT are Cox Cable and an Ayre DX-5 DSD disc player, for music Roon via Ethernet to an Ayre QX-5 Twenty streamer and the disc player.

@emergingsoul 

What components do you have in your system now? What is HT and what is 2-channel?

I don't currently have an HT system. However, several times in the past I had combined HT/2-channel systems and they worked well. If configured correctly, the HT setup has zero effect on 2-channel sound quality and actually the HT components don't even need to be turned-on when playing 2-channel music.

If I were looking to do a combo HT/2-Channel system today, I would have to look at the Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 pre-amp. It is a tube-based pre-amp. One feature I really like about it is that it has HT bypass that is activated when the pre-amp is powered off. So, no tube wear when listening to HT.