Majority Of Your Listening Is Online Streaming Service, Do You Buy CD's Or Vinyl Any More?

Do you care to own hard copies of your recordings any more?

128x128mitch4t

Absolutely. Streaming lets me find new music. I buy vinyl and CDs based on what I find on Qobuz, Tidal and Apple music. 

I stream. I have CD's. I have LP's. I have no 8-tracks. It's all good. Also agree with @femoore12 - that's a main reason I stream as well; I do like having physical artifacts. 

I go thru phases these days

• I have a large collection of CDs about 70% has been RIP'd and placed my dedicated music server
  • I have about 120 SACDs all of these have been RIP'd to SACD.iso and then turned into DSF files for the music server
  • Fair amount of vinyl and most new purchases are vinyl these days. This can be a mixed bag depending on the release and where it was pressed.
  • No steaming of any kind for music - except the music server
  • Some but not many hi-res downloads.

I have also experimented with vinyl ripping with my Linn exact system. Works very well and I end up with 24/192 files that I store as WAVs. Storage is cheap so I do not care about compression formats.

I have to say I am generally very happy with my vinyl playback setup and it keeps me purchasing more titles. 

Recently have been curating my CD catalog with a goal to thin out titles I have only listened to a few times. 

Yes, I’m still buying LPs and CDs. Lots of folks are selling them for pennies on the dollar. It’s a matter of hedging my bets. I subscribe to streaming services and love that I can dial up nearly anything I want to hear but, any or all of these services could shut down tomorrow and there goes your music library.