How much of High End Audio is Horn Speakers?

An audio friend of mine had been discussing my future speaker purchase. We discussed, Harbeth, Devore, Spendor, Audio Note and other more traditional speaker brands. A week or two later he called an asked me what speakers I had purchased. When I told him Klipsch, there was a little silence on the other end of the line. Our call probably ended a little sooner then usual. I could tell he was disappointed in my purchase. Is it the Klipsch name that illicits this type of response or is it Horn speakers in general? After thinking about some of the other Audiophiles in town, a good deal of them are on the low power high efficiency speaker route and more than a few I know are using Horns. Does anyone know how the high end market share is divided? Is there a stigma associated with certain lower cost Horn speakers? Or is this just Klipsch? I now own a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls and am enjoying the journey associated with tweaking the sound to my taste. Is there an unwritten rule that friends don’t let friends buy Klipsch?

128x128coachpoconnor

Nice write-up @cohicks4 , but I’m a little confused:

Even though the midrange and tweeters look like horns they are actually compression drivers with horns for dispersion

Most horn mids and tweets I know of ARE compression drivers. I think you may be thinking of horn loaded bass cabinets as a "true" horn speaker, but in my experience, both are considered true horn speakers. Just different drivers attached.

I wouldn’t say "even though ... look like horns..." because they really are horn speakers. If they lacked the compression driver they might be called "wave guides" instead, but potato potatoe.

Using compression drivers attached to a horn is 100% pro horn speaker construction.  Nothing illegitimate about it.

Copy that Erik, guess I was confused, but it was JBLs fault😂, they compared true horns with their compression versions in the write-up. Either way they are excellent sounding, and thanks for the clarity!

This puts it better.  As you can see from the article, the raison d'etre for compression drivers IS horn speakers:

Great info, thanks…maybe I should spend more time reading and less listening?

cohicks4,

I had the Array1400's too. They are excellent speakers, and the looks are a knockout. Nothing else looks like them.