Nietzsche and Runaway Audio Consumption

Came across this today. A lot of posts bring up the issue of "how much is enough?" or "when is audio consumption justified" etc.

Does this Nietzsche aphorism apply to audio buying? You be the judge! 

Friedrich Nietzsche“Danger in riches. — Only he who has spirit ought to have possessions: otherwise possessions are a public danger. For the possessor who does not know how to make use of the free time which his possessions could purchase him will always continue to strive after possessions: this striving will constitute his entertainment, his strategy in his war against boredom. 

Thus in the end the moderate possessions that would suffice the man of spirit are transformed into actual riches – riches which are in fact the glittering product of spiritual dependence and poverty. They only appear quite different from what their wretched origin would lead one to expect because they are able to mask themselves with art and culture: for they are, of course, able to purchase masks. By this means they arouse envy in the poorer and the uncultivated – who at bottom are envying culture and fail to recognize the masks as masks – and gradually prepare a social revolution: for gilded vulgarity and histrionic self-inflation in a supposed ‘enjoyment of culture’ instil into the latter the idea ‘it is only a matter of money’ – whereas, while it is to some extent a matter of money, it is much more a matter of spirit.” 

Nietzsche, Friedrich. 1996. Human, All Too Human: A Book for Free Spirits. Cambridge University Press. (p. 283-4, an aphorism no. 310)

I'm pretty sure @mahgister will want to read this one! (Because they speak so artfully about avoiding the diversion that consumption poses to the quest for true aesthetic and acoustic excellence.)

128x128hilde45

It is an either/or situation for me...

If you read my post , you must MATURELY argue against or for my point or stay silent...It is called an ADULT philosophical debate...

Calling me a "filibuster" reflect, by this choice of word, your own personal political ideology and mirror your own PAST actions in all thread pertaining to politics OR NOT where suddenly you never moderate yourself ABOUT YOUR POLITICAL OPINION in the first place, creating foes and neglecting all audio matter because it suit you... I dont act like that i moderate myself and i spoke KINDLY to millercarbon or to you for example......And in this tread i relate all my ideas to audio approach and ideas about music and sound, science and spirit experience...

Then take a mirror...Look at your beam not at my straw...

By the way my posts were never monologos but dialogos propositions and my content is not REPETITIVE but various and original even in audio matters and ARE AROUND the OP question of this thread from many perspective.

Then calling me "filibuster" reflect your own immoderate trend in all threads of audiogon about politics and arguing agaist imaginary political enemy : the right...Millercarbon in particular.. Thinking out of politic is without interest for you it seems...Philosophy and audio are related directly by the way... Ideological politic and audio are not...

And the OP is supposed to be a philosopher, i am amazed that instead of discussing and reading my posts which are around the question of consumerism/spirit because he even cited me in the first place in his initial remark he shut me off now... He did it for the same reason in the past... it seems i am not an interesting guest...ideas are too much in numbers and arguments too deep or too stupid...Pick your choice...he dont discuss my arguments EVER like any philosopher will do...I supposed he think i am a deluded fool...Or he himself is unable to think out of a book...

I will quit...

i need friends to speak with, not small hypocrital passive observer...

Thanks for your christmast gift...

And nonoise enjoy posting your childish GIF instead of ideas...Dont call that trolling a thread with unrelated unoriginal humor called that "nonoise right" to annoy by self proclaimed right...And go on with your petty political attacks...

@mahgister ,

It’s not an either/or situation.
It’s not like a faucet: fully on or shut completely off.
It’s moderation in everything we do.

All the best,
Nonoise

you must MATURELY argue against or for my point or stay silent...

So now you're setting the terms of an open conversation?
Who died and put you in charge?

You cry out that I'm being political in debates on Covid and climate change when I'm not. You do so because you cite crazy stuff to support you claims that are easily disputed. So you now carry a grudge. What would your philosophical mentors think of you now? 

I do, in fact, read your threads and find them tiresome because you prattle on endlessly when you could do it succinctly. You write like it's a dissertation instead of  a conversation and that can wear on a person. It turns most people off. 

So like the OP, I'm outta here and you can enjoy yourself all you want as you seem be the your own favorite audience, seeming to marvel on all you can say.

All the best,
Nonoise

Dont distort my words, in any discussion EVERYDOBY, me included, must answer intelligently and not post stupid gift or political attack...

The rules of discussion exist for millenia...

English is not my language and i have the bad habit to arrange my thought in order...

And if you read my answer s to my post they always listing arguments WITHOUT GRUDGE against anyone save those who serve me lesson like "filibuster" accusation...

Quit now your job is done and anyway you are unable to think about deep matter save fanatical politic....You serve lesson but try to answer about any of my post line of thought here... Try, it will reveal your mastering of thought instead of attacking me WITHOUT any sound argument ...

When you serve others the better of yourself and you receive spit like gift, if you are not Christ you react... These 2 posts are my reaction ....

I do, in fact, read your threads and find them tiresome because you prattle on endlessly when you could do it succinctly.

But you are right with the OP i am not succinct... So what? my posts are original in all article, books videos , and ideas recommendations and ARTICULATED so what?

YOU SHUT ME OFF BY THE WORDS COUNT? not by my content?

Look in your face....

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT SOME OTHERS PEOPLE ENJOYED READING MY REFLECTIONS... but you did not why? the words count annoy you?

is this a valid argument at the end?

you are ridiculous and anyone reading all the thread will decide by himself...

For some people it always ends up with god, not just any god, but their GOD.  God seems to be an answer, but maybe it's just an endless series of questions...

I think therefore I think I think.

For covid i had sound argument points... I clearly stated my position : vaccination of at risk population of ALL the world, second, no mass mandated forced vacccinations for children , and cheap proven multi drugs free for the others...

It is not WISE and simple to understand? THIS IS PURE SCIENCE....not poltical agenda...

Biden and Trump are idiots i dont choose between idiots..Pick the one you love...

For climate change you lied about me...

I clearly state that there is 2 factors thats all : Sun activity and men activity...

Discussing climate changes is impossible in audio thread, and it is what i said because it is TOO politically charged like covid and too complex more than covid science...Then save for UNDERLINING these 2 important related factors , the sun activity and mankind activity, i never pronounce myself MORE...

Try to be HONEST...not a sophist...Read my post in their context...

You constantly demonstrated in all threead for years your political agenda, i constantly demonstrated that i can change my mind and THINK out of any political ideology..

You are an hypocrit like some of the rightwingers you had attacked all times ...The difference is you are a leftwinger...

I am an adult not a puppet...

Try to contradict me NOW ABOUT any of my philosophical or historical points in this thread if you own a brain...

You cry out that I’m being political in debates on Covid and climate change when I’m not. You do so because you cite crazy stuff to support you claims that are easily disputed.