Suggestion between benchmark Ahb2, Bob carver crimson 275 and rogue atlas magnum 2 amos

First ever post here. I have a peachtree nova 150 integrated amp, KEF LS50 metas, a Bluesound node, a vintage technics turntable and a schiit mani phono preamp. I am making the move to a separate amp and preamp. I have a preamp (a rogue rp-1) on order and I’m looking for an amp. I think I have it narrowed down to a Benchmark AHB2, a Bob Carver Crimson 275 or a Rogue Atlas Magnum 2. would appreciate any input the group might have or any alternate suggestions.

pwoodard922

I can’t speak to the Carver unit, but the Benchmark and Rogue units should both prove fine, but with somewhat different tonality. Also I echo the comment of @avanti1960. The Rogue Stereo 100, which I ended up purchasing, to me is audibly better than the Atlas. The 100 had more clarity and better transient response. More than enough power in the Rogue or Benchmark units. Can you borrow the amps to audition at your home? That will certainly help you decide.

As to adding one or more subs, should you be interested, the REL T/x series are a good match, musical, and REL recommends using high level inputs, wiring to the sub from the speaker outputs on your power amp rather than a low level input from a preamp. (REL provides the necessary cable with their sub or you can purchase an upgraded cable.) So your purchase of the Rogue preamp does not preclude adding one or more subs. I think you will find many if not most Audiogoners with REL subs use the high level output.

Happy listening!

Thumbs down for the Carver 275 amp! It uses 15 watt Edcor output transformers that certainly can't make the claimed 75 watts at reasonable distortion! In fact at 15 watts/1khz it does 1% distortion. At 32hz it is at 2% and rising. Carver's claim that this is a 75 wpc amp is fraudulent and a violation of the FTC rule. This amp can't even pass decent sine waves at reasonable power! For its high sale price it is a rip-off! Buy a nicely restored Dynaco ST70 instead - Dan Vincent has some for sale here on Audiogon.

@cdennison53 : "It does run relatively cool". The 275 amp is seriously under-biased! Plenty of notch distortion! Sure, the output tubes will last forever but at 10%+ harmonic distortion! Clearly a broken product!

The Benchmark AHB2 is the stellar performer here! So what it doesn't have glowing bottles to light up a dark room! 

carver dealer jim clark stereo offers 30 day money back trials for the carver

benchmark does the same for its products

not sure about rogue, but perhaps some its dealers will do the same

so op, you can ask here, and you will get input from unidentified strangers of unknown qualification and motivations, or you can try for yourself and decide what works for you