Opp 970 for SACD and DVD-A

I have a 4 year old Phillips 963sa That I have been using as my DVD and SACD player and I like it but it is starting to have problems reading DVDs. The problem is intermittent but I am thinking about replacing the unit with the Oppo. I have read many reviews about the video quality of the Oppo but how well does it do SACD or DVD-A? I can buy this unit and use my Phillips as a dedicated SACD player but I was curious if this could just be a direct replacement. I do not want to buy a high end player until Blue Ray and HD-DVD have ended the format war. I think the Oppo will be a great interim player. Please let me know what you guys think about the Oppo as a SACD and DVD-A player. Thanks.
kemp
I had the 963sa and I replaced it with the Oppo 970. I have been very happy with the unit. The video checked out well by a video technician. I have a few DVD-A and SACDs, but not many. I like the sound and have not had any problems. For most music I still prefer 2 channel. Maybe when I get more 5.1 music I will like it more. I am using it until the HD formats are better defined, but it is quite good and I may decide just to stay with it.
oppo is coming out with a new unit that will play sacd and give you hdmi.it will also handle 1080p. its based on the costlier 971h which is better than the 970 because of the use of discrete ic's vs the all in one ic's used in the 970. i would call oppo to get all the details on the newer unit.
personally, the strength in the oppo's are their video quality. audio is at least to me mediocre at best. what do you expect from a unit thats $200.00 dollars. i guess the video can be obtained for alot less since the picture quality is exceptional for a unit in this price range. i had a 971h and the picture quality is outstanding. i sold it to a friend that needed it more than i did right now. i will waite on the newer one because of the hdmi alone.
I am using the 963 as a dedicated multi-channel SACD player with excellent results. I have the Oppo 971 for playing DVD's video's, the 971 is by far better for video. Can't comment on SACD sound quality between the 963 and 971, I like the sound quality of the 963 so I never compared.
You may be interested in the review on TNT-audio, an internet magazine I enjoy and respect.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/oppo_dv970_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/oppo_dv970_tech_e.html

Good luck!