Opp 970 for SACD and DVD-A

I have a 4 year old Phillips 963sa That I have been using as my DVD and SACD player and I like it but it is starting to have problems reading DVDs. The problem is intermittent but I am thinking about replacing the unit with the Oppo. I have read many reviews about the video quality of the Oppo but how well does it do SACD or DVD-A? I can buy this unit and use my Phillips as a dedicated SACD player but I was curious if this could just be a direct replacement. I do not want to buy a high end player until Blue Ray and HD-DVD have ended the format war. I think the Oppo will be a great interim player. Please let me know what you guys think about the Oppo as a SACD and DVD-A player. Thanks.
kemp

Showing 2 responses by millenium

oppo is coming out with a new unit that will play sacd and give you hdmi.it will also handle 1080p. its based on the costlier 971h which is better than the 970 because of the use of discrete ic's vs the all in one ic's used in the 970. i would call oppo to get all the details on the newer unit.
personally, the strength in the oppo's are their video quality. audio is at least to me mediocre at best. what do you expect from a unit thats $200.00 dollars. i guess the video can be obtained for alot less since the picture quality is exceptional for a unit in this price range. i had a 971h and the picture quality is outstanding. i sold it to a friend that needed it more than i did right now. i will waite on the newer one because of the hdmi alone.
it seems that the review mentioned above on the 970hd supports the sound capabilities of this oppo model. the real bargain to me is in the video as GERONIMO and i feel the 971hd offers. again it has to do with using better components. i had tried the 971hd as a transport on my heavily modded TACT MK3 FROM ABERDEEN COMPONENTS. it paled in comparison especially with my modded NORTHSTAR 192 also from ABERDEEN COMPONENTS,playing redbook cd. playing dvd audio on the 971hd as a transport was also not impressive. i know that ABERDEEN COMPONENTS has modded his 971hd with excellent results . i am going to waite on the newer model and see what ABERDEEN can obtain in the area of audio and video. he is a dealer and i believe you can obtain any of these models cheaper than going directly thru OPPO. it may be worth the call to save some $$$$
for what its worth, the newer oppo model is the same as the 971hd but with sacd,hdmi and 1080p capabilities. according to oppo, the picture is the same between the 971hd and the new model.

regards

BILL