Experience with DS Audio Optical Cartridge Systems

I am considering moving over to optical cartridge system.  Wondering if any of y'all have had experiences you can share from using the system.

mjbishop99

@lancelock ,

I heard the new DS003 at the Captial Audio Fest and while it sounded good, it is hard to say that in a direct comparison situation to other cartridges, what that "difference" means. Different is not always better, but another "ingredient" that alters the flavor, for better or worse, or not at all. Of course, if your cartridge benchmark was outclassed by the DS Audio top tier optical cartridge which persuaded you to purchase it, congratulations!

If you are in the DMV area, I am as well, I will send you a PM. Perhaps we can do a shootout...Hyperion OCL, Air Tight OPUS 1, with SME V’s and new Transrotor TRA9 arm mated to an upgraded Transrotor Apollon TMD with three motors, 80mm platter, and Transrotor Konstant TMD reference regulated power supply.

@mijostyn ,

I hear you...with spiked eggnog and lots of Christmas records in play on the old trusty Denon turntable, it could be a recipe for disaster. I will just leave the cover off for extended plays.

Audioquest4life and Lancelock, I too am in the DMV area, Bethesda to be precise.  We really ought to get together for listening to each other's systems.  There is nothing like re-affirmation to get the old audio juices flowing.  Sorry, I don't own a DS cartridge system.

@lewm 

I agree. Did you go to CAF? We might have passed each other in record alley. Let's continue this dialog for sure. 

I do wholly agree on there being a need to listen first, and draw ones own conclusions on how a device can perform and make a impression, there will always be a variance to the information offered as an outcome of an assessment.

Out of four members reporting on their experiences with the Cartridge, two members are sure it made a impression that has been worthy of their consideration and one member has become a owner/user of the Cartridge. 

It is also good to see the Thread has encouraged a opportunity to discuss a social gathering of  few members, that is a win. 

I, too, am in the DC area (Laytonsville, MD).  I have a DS-003 and it is exceptional in my opinion.  Transient response stands out but most striking is the dynamics - the dynamic contrasts presented are unlike anything I've heard in my system before.