Best cost no object tube phono

Hi Agoners,

just upgraded everything to SS Accuphase, loving it and have no intention to go back to tube pre/power. However, I have to admit that I miss a bit of tube sweetness particularly on mid. What is the best cost no object tube phono stage?

Thanks in advance for any advices
uwiikz

@reimarc 

Since the hum has been in two phono sections so far, I am suspicious they are not the problem. It might be that there is a problem with the tonearm cable and/or wiring. Or it could be an issue where the phono section is too close to a hum source like a power transformer from an associated component. I would certainly test these possibilities before proceeding with any other equipment!

I bet that's expensive, given the pretentious descriptive passages on the website.

What it might sound as an unfair comparison, I own a Manly Steelhead and when I compare it my CH P1 (one for each channel) with two X1 power supplies, I can’t stop getting amazed on how well the Steelhead sounds.

Yes the CH P1 is better at everything and would not replace it with a Steelhead, BUT I cant stop to be amazed at how well the Steelhead sounds.

Following some advice from some users here some guts were replaced with better quality, but not much, which transformed the Steelhead for the better.

The Steelhead is $10k ($10800 with the modification), the CH about $90k and I have no problem listening to the Steelhead all day long. I just wish Manley did use a few better components and not be cheap in a $10K phono stage, but my hat to them specially since this design is pretty old.

I wander why the Steelhead is not mentioned more often since it is a USA product.

I wander why the Steelhead is not mentioned more often since it is a USA product.

Some guesses:
It’s been around a long time without any superficially visible new versions. The ultra high-end segment seems to love either "brand NEW version Alpha Centauri Mk MCXIII SE+ Prime Sigma RED, only {$$$MEGA BUX$$$}!", or really really vintage. Also $10K is no longer attention grabbing in the ultra segment, and yet it’s too pricey for most ordinary folk. Are there even many Manley dealers anymore? They seemed to be a lot more available and talked about in hifi circles in the 2000s.

It also tops out at 65dB, which is a bit low compared to some other ultra phono stages’ 70dB+. I wouldn’t want to run a 0.2mV on 65dB. Personally I like to have 70dB on tap.

I’d still love to try one someday. It was a tantalizing fruit, well beyond my reach when I first got into vinyl.