Phono preamp suggestions; can I improve upon my Aesthetix Rhea Sig ?

I have just ordered a new VPI HW-40 with a Van Den Hut Crimson Stradivarius cart.  I'm now wondering if I need to upgrade my Rhea phono pre? Have already made improvements with NOS tubes.  Have looked at the Pass XP-27. Also I see the Coincident Speaker Technology Statement was just awarded product of the year award from AS.    Any thoughts?

128x128skinzy

Congrats on the HW40. I'd love to upgrade my 10 year old Classic with one.

You could get one of these. HW thought it was one of "the best" he's heard. Personally, I'd just enjoy your already fine setup.

I have heard an earlier version of the Pass Phono at a friends house and compared that to my Aesthetix IO Signature (now Eclipse with two power supplies) circa, 2008. I though the Pass Phono was an outstanding phono amp as it performed its duties, effortlessly. Compared to my Io at the time, I needed to ensure that I had very quiet tubes and minimized RFI/EMI radiation from cell phones, and other devices. The Io at the time was very sensitive to that type of interference. Now, with the Eclipse upgrade, the power supplies are more efficient, low to imperceptible noise, and upgraded gold caps, and Aesthetix matched tubes, wow, this is a vast improvement over the Io Signature from years gone by. I don’t concern myself with any stray emissions from whatever, it is just an absolute quiet device. The Io Eclipse of today delivers a big, dynamic, and holographic soundstage, with no noise. 

Going back to my circa 2008 time stamp when I compared the older Pass Phono with my Io, the Pass Phono is plug and play, while the Io needs some TLC to play competitively. One thing I liked the Io Sig from way back then is that it was more dynamic, albeit with some slight tube noise. Todays Io has no tube noise and is quiet. You can throw away the plug and play analog from the previous generation comparisons, because, now both, are simply plug and play as is. Of course, with Io, you have the luxury (or is it?) of swapping tubes. 

Tube noise and other noise sources has been a problem with my Rhea.  Your experience and description is very useful.  I think the reason I was looking at Pass was for no fuss SS. Good to know this has been addressed in the Eclipse versions.

+ big Aesthetix fan here Congrats on the VPI and Crimson, no doubt will sound excellent!

jim

i am a fancy capacitor robot in a metal can

@skinzy 

Yes, the newer or upgraded (sent back to factory for refresh) Io phono amps are fantastic. Since you already have experience with tube rolling, you will find that you don’t have to with the newer Io Eclipse versions as Aesthetix is carefully matching tubes.

One caveat, I did have one tube in V1 start to whistle (after 30 days), and Aesthetix was going to replace it, but I ended up doing my own tube rolling anyway, and went with GL 12AX7s, which are outstanding in those positions. Other than that, I have not touched another tube and find the Io to be the one single audio component that has outlasted everything else I have owned for nearly 16 years. When you consider that, it is remarkable due to the enormous amount of tubes. It is a testament to the build quality of the Aesthetix Io series.