How do you get Happy as an Audiophile?

There’s an interesting, relatively modern take on mental health called Positive Psychology. While not without it’s faults and detractors, PP has a very interesting approach. Instead of asking questions on the axis of illness and diagnosis PP asks questions on the scale of happiness:

What is it that makes you more or less content with your life and in your pursuits? How can these actions, events or states be codified and applied as general principles?

In the spirit of PP then I ask:

How do you get happy? What advice would you give an audiophile that asks "What is satisfying about being an audiophile, and what are the approaches that get me there? Do you personally know the answers for yourself? "

erik_squires

In high school, I had one those all in one units. Kept it shiny and doted over it. In college, I had a decent Pioneer system. Wasn't bad, wasn't great but it was somewhat close to a real system. Then I had a Honda Prelude with hail damage. Great car with a good audio system. It was fast and I totaled it. Then I had this wireless system that I could plug an iPod into. It ruled. Could listen to music outside through an actual speaker. Wow. Then I had my phone with a portable speaker. Very practical for my age. Then I had nothing for 10 years. Now, I have a system worth all of those multiple times over. So, am I happy? Heck yeah! The music has never sounded so good! 

"How do you get happy?" 

This is what I've observed... 

Happiness is not a thing to be acquired so there can be no "getting" happy.

Happiness is about being, not getting. . . and I cannot be in two places at once! 

As long as I am chasing something "out there" and telling myself I will be happy once I get it, at some point in the future, I am, in effect, denying myself the possibility of being happy, as happiness can only be encountered 1) in the here and now and 2)  internally. 

I don't find being an audiophile makes me happy. It's more like an addiction than anything else. People who are perfectionist by nature, who  love music and who have enough $ can easily become hooked by audiophilia. I find it can be quite an emotional roller coaster. 

Each time I upgrade my system, I notice the desire to attain "the next level" invariably arises. So, in a way, the very act of upgrading inhibits my potential for satisfaction as it continually generates an ongoing chain of desires. I don't find this brings me happiness. Temporary intoxication-- sure-- but happiness? I don't think so. 

Now if you want to talk about music, that's different...

I liked your description of "Positive Psychology", That is something new and needed in the field, Mental Health was my field prior to retiring, and I spent years supervising Corrections Psychiatric treatment and Diagnostic units among other related work.. Our work was grounded on the illness model you describe. I think I had the entire DSM IV (the APA’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) memorized at some point, Thanks for bring up this new approach. It put a smile on my face to hear of it..

To address your question. I’ve only upgraded my system twice. Once in my twenties and again at about age 67. I think I’d be happier if I could upgrade my listening system to include super high end forbiddenly expensive Magico speakers and equivalent equipment next time around.. But why worry about it, And why not enjoy the pricey to me set-up I have now.

What makes me happy is finding great new CD’s and listening to already collected gems, while enjoying the advantages and improved sound of my current system over the old one. I’m doing it right now, listening to the newly available Coltrane "A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle" Can’t beat it, even though the the actual recording was done by amateurs. and certainly doesn’t show off one’s system.

Daydreaming about better stuff can be fun and satisfying as well, abetted by reading Audiogon (when the trolls aren’t out in force) to find out what the rest of you are doing and learning what the more knowledgeable can teach you.

Anyway, great post Erik. Thanks;

Mike (still lying about not being a robot)