PD-Creative

anyone tried the PD-Creative(Polish) linear power supply mod to the Bluesound Node 2i?
128x128jw944ts

I just received my mod kit from Pawel for a Node 2i.  Any advice before I begin the installation? I’ve found and watched the install video on youtube.  By the way I also bought the Meanwell switched power supply.

My installation wasn’t easy. Apparently there’s enough tolerance in the Node 2i “fitting” that if things are off it can be a bitch trying to get things back together.  So much so in my case (ha ha, “case”, get it) that I finally decided to not insert the lower left back plate screw because it would only go in at an angle and that prevented the back magnetic plate from being fully seated. I tried everything, leaving the other screws loose in an attempt to get the back plate to side over another 0.5 mm to the left. No go.

in addition, I had a heck of a time getting the old board’s plastic large signal connector unfastened.  Then more problems getting the new board’s connector fully inserted into the clip.

And the instructions don’t mention to remove the small connector. There’s no corresponding connector on the new board and it soon became apparent this connection wasn’t needed.

All problems aside, it’s one of the only changes I’ve ever made that sounded like an improvement without break-in (burn-in). Wow! Basses sound great!  Piano still a little rough but its got less than an hour of play time on it.

I’m really looking forward to it getting burned-in!

Also, I made the mod in the nick of time! The old power board had two capacitors failing (leaking).  One significantly so. Leaking all over the PCB. I’ve owned the Node 2i for 22 months.

I’m very pleased with the PD Creative mod! It has about 40 hrs burn-in play hrs on it in addition to leaving it fully powered on 24x7 since installation. It took almost the full 40 hrs to lose the upper midrange harshness on horns and piano. Not unusual for solid state burn-in. I once owned a modified SS amp and preamp that took over a 100 hrs to lose that edginess.

Compared to the stock Node 2i with a Nordost Purple Flare power cable the mod with a Meanwell SMPS has resulted in much better clarity and a deeper soundstage. Bass is tighter, plucked strings have a better leading edge, drum hits are more crisp. Cymbals sound much more realistic.

Based on others’ comments above I should purchase a Sbooster for it. My only problem is finding a place for another Sbooster. I already have a Sbooster on a Chord Qutest. Can Sbooster units be stacked on top of each other without a reduction in sound quality? Anyone try it? I try to separate power supplies by at least a foot.